Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2009, 05:04 PM
Rookie

Default A few questions

hey everyone,

i have a few questions my first question is, well, im gonna be buying the zotac ionitx-a mini itx board but i will be putting it inside a nes case(i know its been done a thousand times, but i want one oh so bad!), anyway seeing as the power/reset switches and led come with the case, i wont have those, what im wondering is could i wire the power/reset and led to a usb header plug and plug that into the front panel header on the motherboard. because it looks like the usb header on the mobo look exactly like the front panel header(where you plug the power/reset/led). so could i do it that way?

and also that board has the psu built into the motherboard itself, but id like to put an on/off switch on the side of the case, because as i am building this myself i wouldnt feel comfortable having current running through it all the time(like when im asleep, i can be paranoid sometimes). but yeah could i just put a switch between where the two wires come off the motherboard and connect to the power port on the back panel?
i have attached a picture of the motherboard to this post so you can see what im talking about.
also could i just connect a switch to either of the two wires because it shouldnt really matter right? my understanding is that if i put a switch on either of the wires it would break the circuit either way, so it wouldnt matter which wire i put the switch on?

anyway thanks for reading, and sorry for the inevitable spelling mistakes and bad grammar and rambling, im in england at the moment and its 1am.

thanks again!
spiros.
Attached Images

Old November 4, 2009, 05:20 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiros View Post
what im wondering is could i wire the power/reset and led to a usb header plug and plug that into the front panel header on the motherboard. because it looks like the usb header on the mobo look exactly like the front panel header(where you plug the power/reset/led). so could i do it that way?
Yes, you can do that as long as you make sure to get the pinout right. You'll have to make your own connector, of course.
Quote:
and also that board has the psu built into the motherboard itself, but id like to put an on/off switch on the side of the case, because as i am building this myself i wouldnt feel comfortable having current running through it all the time(like when im asleep, i can be paranoid sometimes). but yeah could i just put a switch between where the two wires come off the motherboard and connect to the power port on the back panel?
You could, but chances are that the power brick will still be pulling some current even when the switch is off. It's really nothing to worry about though, since the actual power consumption is just about insignificant.
Quote:
i have attached a picture of the motherboard to this post so you can see what im talking about.
also could i just connect a switch to either of the two wires because it shouldnt really matter right? my understanding is that if i put a switch on either of the wires it would break the circuit either way, so it wouldnt matter which wire i put the switch on?
Correct.
Old November 5, 2009, 03:27 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiros
what im wondering is could i wire the power/reset and led to a usb header plug and plug that into the front panel header on the motherboard. because it looks like the usb header on the mobo look exactly like the front panel header(where you plug the power/reset/led). so could i do it that way?

Yes, you can do that as long as you make sure to get the pinout right. You'll have to make your own connector, of course.
well i was going to order a usb header to usb female port, and just rip the wires off that and solder them to the NES's power/reset and led, but it would definitely fit the pins on the mobo and also the guage of the wire will be fine aswell, im sure the answers to these questions will be yes, but i just want to be absolutely sure before i dive into this project.
Old November 5, 2009, 10:19 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I did the same with mine. I ordered from pico something or other online and got a couple of usb cords with a relay chip so you can solder the original ports to the chip and then plug them onto the usb headers. As for that board, i went with an am2 socket version of that board with a pci express x1 slot. was a much better purchase i thought.
Old November 5, 2009, 05:59 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
well i was going to order a usb header to usb female port, and just rip the wires off that and solder them to the NES's power/reset and led, but it would definitely fit the pins on the mobo and also the guage of the wire will be fine aswell, im sure the answers to these questions will be yes, but i just want to be absolutely sure before i dive into this project.
Not every motherboard has the pins for the power and reset switches organized the same way, so you should probably just test it out first with another cable before you start soldering things.
Old November 7, 2009, 01:04 PM
Rookie

yeah, ive already downloaded the user manual for the mobo i want, so ive checked the pinout, that wont be a problem, i just have another question. would this ram:
Newegg.ca - Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N5K2/2G - Desktop Memory
be compatible with the zotac ionitx-a motherboard (Newegg.ca - ZOTAC IONITX-A-U Atom N330 1.6GHz Dual-Core 441 NVIDIA ION Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Motherboard / CPU / VGA Combo)

everything looks right, but i need to order it right now and just want to be absolutely sure. and also just so i know for the future... aslong as the ddr(2/3) is the same as the mobo and its the same speed or less(in this case 800mhz)... and the number of pins is the same is there anything else that has to match?

and also if the motherboard says it supports dual channel(does it also support single channel[like just one stick of ram])?

and can you possibly recommend another set of ram around the same price or less or a little more if you think its way better? thanks in advance im trying to order my parts before the 10 percent sale is over.

thanks alot for all your help, spiros.
Old November 7, 2009, 01:10 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

That RAM will work fine.
Old November 7, 2009, 01:49 PM
Rookie

Ahh great,

thanks alot Zero82z. im going to be ordering tonight.