Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2007, 10:58 PM
Rookie

Default This considered a high CPU temp?

A few days ago, I bought a new computer (assembled parts). I had trouble running it because the computer would shut off after 30s-2m. Asus hotline said it was because of the thermal paste thats helping cool down my CPU. Thing is, it's an Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo, which I just recently bought. I eventually got it to stay on by moving the thermal paste around under the heatsink to touch more surface area of the CPU XD. But recently now, I have used Coretemp and SpeedFan to measure my CPU temperatures. It measues 45 degrees idle, but when playing a game.... such as BF2 the CPU temperatures shoots up to 70-85 degrees, and to me this seems very hot XD is it? Or is it normal? Theres this one incident however, where Coretemp's log says my CPU's temperature was 120+ for a bit
Another issue, is that my comp wont stay on for 3dmark. It'll shut off at the laggytastic 3rd video XD which I believe is the overheating of the CPU.

What do you guys think??? I'm majorly concerned right now... if it is extremely overheated, what can I do? Should I buy more thermal paste from a computer store?

Will overheating affect the performance of my computer in the long run? or does it just affect life span?

Should I worry right now about my CPU crashing and burning? I've been thinking of exchanging it... if it does any good, or if overheating counts as a legit excuse >.>

P5N-E SLI
Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66ghz
OCZ 2 Gig DDR2 RAM
BFG Geforce 8600gts OC, Thermal Intelligence
Antec Sonata III
Old August 31, 2007, 11:06 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

it definitely sounds like overheating and thermal protection kicking in ans shutting the system down. the lagy video in 3dmark 06 is the CPU test and it shutting off there again points to CPU overheating. there is really one one thing that could be causing temps that high, poor or no contact with the heatsink.

chances are one or more of the clips that hold the heatsink on the CPU are not secured properly and the heatsink isn't making contact. have a look at the CPU mount and ensure that all four corners are secured properly. if you have any questions about whether they are or not, just post back and one of us can sort you out. HTH
Old September 1, 2007, 03:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Are you sure you're reading in celsius and not farenheit?

45 deg c is way too hot for idle!!!!

Full load (orthos or TAT) at stock speeds with a stock cooler shouldn't be over 40C let alone idle temps.

Don't run your computer at those temps, you stand a good chance of frying your CPU if for some reason the thermal protection CCT doesn't turn it off.

Quote:
Asus hotline said it was because of the thermal paste thats helping cool down my CPU.
I'm hoping that either you misunderstood them, or they misunderstood you. Either way it's a pretty boneheaded answer!

Even if you find a clip that's not mated properly, and improve your temps by fixing it, the original paste will have cured somewhat by now and you'll get a better mating if you apply fresh TIM.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; September 1, 2007 at 03:55 AM.
Old September 1, 2007, 08:54 AM
Rookie

Yes, I'm reading it correctly. All those temperatures are in Celcius, both in Speedfan and Coretemp. So should I buy those thermal paste solutions at the comp stores? I found these 99% silver or something silver thermal paste at Canada Computers.
Old September 1, 2007, 09:01 AM
Rookie

Here's a picture at idle.
Attached Images

Old September 1, 2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
So should I buy those thermal paste solutions at the comp stores? I found these 99% silver or something silver thermal paste at Canada Computers.
yes AS5 is a good thermal paste but if you are shutting down due to thermal protection, just thermal paste is NOT the issue. there is something else going on like the heatsink isn't mounted properly.

change the thermal paste if you want but make sure the heatsink is mounted properly when your done and that should solve your issues.
Old September 1, 2007, 09:39 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Since you don't mention it ... i assume you are running the stock intel hsf and are not oc'ed?

I dunno what intel uses for stock hsf tim on the e6750 ... hopefully not the parafin wax based pads anymore.

I would take off the stock hsf, thoroughly clean of the old stuff with goof-off or the Artic silver cleaners, and put some as5 on it. Read the artic silver site instructions for your cpu to do it right ... not too much not too little.

If you have a really warped surface on the hsf or cpu, you should be able to see it after properly applying as5, installing the hsf properly, and then removing it to see if there are any bare spots. A short term fix is too apply a bit more as5. A better hsf like the AF7 will also do wonders ... installed properly and assuming the cpu ihs is not too badly warped. If the IHS on the cpu is really badly warped, you should rma it.
Hopefully the issue is just that it is not installed properly.

Also, if your case temps are too high your idle temps will be too ... opening the side cover and adding a box fan blowing in will let you know.

I get idle temps ~ 40C on my quads but thay max in the low 60's oc'ed under (quad) p95 load ... anything higher under load is not gonna be stable.

Last edited by pscout; September 1, 2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old September 1, 2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
yes AS5 is a good thermal paste but if you are shutting down due to thermal protection, just thermal paste is NOT the issue. there is something else going on like the heatsink isn't mounted properly.

change the thermal paste if you want but make sure the heatsink is mounted properly when your done and that should solve your issues.
I agree, no way it is seated properly. Are all 4 clips locked in for sure?
Old September 1, 2007, 12:11 PM
Rookie

Oh, I guess there was some sort of gap or air pockets inbetween the cpu and heatsink. Although the heatsink was properly placed and pinned down in all 4 corners in the first place. I, for 3-5 minutes kept pushing the fan n heatsink and wiggled it XD. Eventually the temperatures went down to around 35-37 idle.

Hopefully this temperature isn't considered high on idle.
Attached Images

Old September 1, 2007, 12:39 PM

idle temperatures mean nothing really. the difference (delta) between idle & load and the load temperatures mean the most. load up Orthos Beta and see what the temperatures climb to after about half and hour. then let us know what the temps are.

it sounds like the heatsink wasn't mounted correctly and that a cleaning and thermal paste re-application may be in order. but just check load temps first for a comparison to if you do re-apply thermal paste.