Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2009, 05:24 PM
Rookie

Question Good, solid x58 motherboard($250-350)

Hi guys.
I just registered because wanted to buy x58 motherboard for foloving boughted setup:

i7 920 D0 with CM v8 HSF
OCZ XMP Ready Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
150 GB WDRaptor+1 TB WDCaviar
CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W
XFX Radoen 5850

Only needed motherboard and set will be ready.

Wanted several ones but even after reviews have problem to decide.
Here's the list:

1. ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 - $290
2. ASUS PTD Deluxe -$290
3. ASUS Rampage II Extreme -$320 aMIR
4. GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 -$280
5. EVGA E758-A1 - $280 aMIR

How you see prices are more less similar but each one got some - and +
I don't need just : GET #4 or #2, i'm looking for reason of your recommendations over anothers.
Thanks.
Old October 15, 2009, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

EVGA 758. Two reasons:

1) Support
2) Support

Ah hell, lets make it three reasons: Support.

No, but in all seriousness, their RMA is bar none the best in the industry, the forums they have are backed by an amazing staff who knows their stuff. And the community behind EVGA is top-notch.

Take it from a guy bitten by Gigabyte, and ASUS. My #1 reason for buying a product from this day forward will always be customer support before all else.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 15, 2009, 05:57 PM
Rookie

Thanks, EVGA's LifeTime support is good, what about the negative factors for EVGA 758? I didn't see it in person but looks UGLY compared to ASUS.
Old October 15, 2009, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have the 758, and I love it. The BIOS is awesome and layout is pretty good. Only problem I have with it is the very tall MOSFET heatsinks. Push/pull with a TRUE in any orientation results in a little bit of fan offset from the centre of the heatsink. Only like a 1/4" or so. I still think it's a great board though.
Old October 15, 2009, 06:37 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The eVGA 758 A1 is my vote. Lifetime warranty, is above and beyond for motherboards. (all other manufacturers only give you a few years and crappy RMA service)

The only con: In an Antec 300, a Thermalright 120 extreme has to "sit" (squish) on the VRM heatsink.
Old October 15, 2009, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What Sagath said....I had the X58 vanilla (758) Board prior to the Classy 759....Both Boards have been very good...

Quote:
EVGA 758. Two reasons:

1) Support
2) Support

Ah hell, lets make it three reasons: Support.

No, but in all seriousness, their RMA is bar none the best in the industry, the forums they have are backed by an amazing staff who knows their stuff. And the community behind EVGA is top-notch.

Take it from a guy bitten by Gigabyte, and ASUS. My #1 reason for buying a product from this day forward will always be customer support before all else.

Old October 16, 2009, 06:14 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Gigabyte UD5. The reason why I say that is because I have been slapping mine around like a lazy donkey and it hasn't died yet. The dual BIOS feature is great in case something goes horribly wrong.

You should also be aware that all new EVGA mobos carry a 2-year warranty. I believe the -A1 versions of the X58 SLI are also more expensive, so if you do go for the lifetime warranty, pay VERY close attention to the product number.
Old October 16, 2009, 06:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Gigabyte UD5. The reason why I say that is because I have been slapping mine around like a lazy donkey and it hasn't died yet. The dual BIOS feature is great in case something goes horribly wrong.

You should also be aware that all new EVGA mobos carry a 2-year warranty. I believe the -A1 versions of the X58 SLI are also more expensive, so if you do go for the lifetime warranty, pay VERY close attention to the product number.
+1 for Gigy friend. A1 are about 300$ with a actual MIR. I have been pushing my gigabytes alot to and never die on my hand. Dual bios also allow me to boot on many mode depending on what I am going to do so I don't have to stay OC all the time, power saver, less heat, and also a nice feature. Personally I don't really like the layout of the EVGA and Asus have lost all my respect this years because of 3 series of really faulty MB like...1 out of 5...that's ridiculous to me. And my final point, le mosffet cooler is in the way. I am really hard with noise and the cooler blocking the fan is noisy, but that's is case by case.

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 16, 2009, 07:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well to go against the Norm like I usually do, if your not going to OC at all, Grab the Intel Smackover X58 Board. I've used Intel boards for years and have YET to kill one of them.
Barring that, the EVGA or Gigabyte are both good Choices in my opinion.
And much like Cars, I don't care how something looks, its how long it lasts. So WHile the EVGA board might look ugly, if it lives longer, thats the most important thing.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 16, 2009, 04:43 PM
Rookie

What about ASUS Rampage II Extreme vs EVGA E758-A1 vs Gidabyte UD5 ? (I don't care about extra $30).