Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   E8600 vs E8500 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/24203-e8600-vs-e8500.html)

redwagon October 10, 2009 09:12 PM

E8600 vs E8500
 
Is the E8600 worth the $50 premium over the E8500 or even the E8400? Assuming of course the 8500 and 8400 are both E0 stepping and you overclocked all three.

1Tanker October 10, 2009 09:28 PM

A few deciding factors. If you have a great dual-clocking board, like the Biostar T-Power I45, and are using air..then no. The E8600 is worth it with LN2/DICE/TEC, due to the 10x multi. I know of a few people who've hit 5GHz with E8400s on air....though not stable, of course. The other thing to mention...if you have a board that doesn't like 500+FSBs, again, the 10x multi will get you a lot farther than an E8400. IMO, the E8500 isn't a decent option...either get the E8600 or E8400.

enaberif October 10, 2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Tanker (Post 269168)
A few deciding factors. If you have a great dual-clocking board, like the Biostar T-Power I45, and are using air..then no. The E8600 is worth it with LN2/DICE/TEC, due to the 10x multi. I know of a few people who've hit 5GHz with E8400s on air....though not stable, of course. The other thing to mention...if you have a board that doesn't like 500+FSBs, again, the 10x multi will get you a lot farther than an E8400. IMO, the E8500 isn't a decent option...either get the E8600 or E8400.

Even the 8600 isn't always that great of a overclocker.

The 8400 was a wicked chip put out by intel and between those 3 the e8400 is still my favorite choice.

1Tanker October 10, 2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 269174)
Even the 8600 isn't always that great of a overclocker.

The 8400 was a wicked chip put out by intel and between those 3 the e8400 is still my favorite choice.

Yeah...but like i alluded to, it depends what you're going to do with it....and what mobo/RAM you have. You're much more likely to top out the FSB before finding the "Silicons" actual limit with the E8400, whereas with the E8600(a good one, but that's also necessary w/E8400) the chips limits can be touched...as far as we know. :biggrin: As far as bang/$, the E8400 is hard to beat.

zsamz_ October 10, 2009 09:47 PM

it depends what you goal is
you happy with 4.0-4.2 get e8400
you want 4.5 get e8600
i'm just waitin on cooler weather to clock mine to 4.8
i seen some duds some e8600 wont do 4.5
mine is good for 4.5 with 1.32v on load some need 1.4+
and the low vid chips get terribly hot

crazyhorsejohnny October 10, 2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zsamz_ (Post 269186)
it depends what you goal is
you happy with 4.0-4.2 get e8400
you want 4.5 get e8600
i'm just waitin on cooler weather to clock mine to 4.8

Won't be long unfortunately:sad:

zsamz_ October 10, 2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny (Post 269188)
Won't be long unfortunately:sad:

i love the cooler weather
just love it
waitin with anticipation

1Tanker October 10, 2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zsamz_ (Post 269191)
i love the cooler weather
just love it

waitin with anticipation

You live in QC....you have no choice. May as well learn to like winter. :biggrin:

headsh0t October 10, 2009 10:00 PM

Haha, there's already snow on the ground here.

Your Weather: Snow Snow go away, come back another...day? - The Weather Network

Andy October 10, 2009 10:07 PM

You're options have been pretty much covered, but for what it's worth I've been running an 8500 for a year or so. I was able to hit 4.3 on air (noctua, dfi board), it probably has more in it, but I haven't had a reason or the time to try.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:06 AM.