Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Amd might be turning things around. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/2417-amd-might-turning-things-around.html)

cdn_Madrach August 28, 2007 06:34 PM

Amd might be turning things around.

This looks good but it is from the Inquirer lol. Comon Amd...you can do it....lol.
AMD's 3GHz K10 to break 30,000 3DMark06

Amon August 28, 2007 06:43 PM

I'm holding off for a pair of those in a year :) Could certainly use the upgrade as I'm already past the multitasking limits of my current processor.

Supergrover August 28, 2007 07:27 PM

Well it's the inquirer so..
Still thats some pretty impressive numbers.
I second the "come on AMD!"

magictorch August 28, 2007 07:48 PM

better keep this quiet

Hopefully AMD will catch Intel with their dirty pants down:biggrin:

Those 2900's seem to rack up some nice points but why not in games? Perhaps the 2900pro and new drivers will wake these monsters up in games and those quads will come in at a nice price. Are these quads are going to be paired on double socket boards in the future???

Amon August 29, 2007 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magictorch (Post 18419)
Hopefully AMD will catch Intel with their dirty pants down:biggrin:

Those 2900's seem to rack up some nice points but why not in games? Perhaps the 2900pro and new drivers will wake these monsters up in games and those quads will come in at a nice price. Are these quads are going to be paired on double socket boards in the future???

Yes, multi-socket Phenom/Barcelona processors will be available for Socket F (also called Socket-1207). The Asus L1N64-SLI WS has been around for about a year supporting up to eight processor cores and has four DIMM slots and is for the home user (if you can justify calling it home user). Other Socket-1207 boards have been floating around as well--primarily from Asus and the ubiquitous Tyan--although those are primarily for the under-the-table server Barcelonas that have been going between large companies lately and support up to 32GB of registered memory.

magictorch August 29, 2007 12:10 PM

thats good

I wonder if highly overclockable multiple socket boards will become more mainstream following the K10 launch with 3 PCI 2 cards. Not that you need that much processing power, but you never know.

Anyway Id be happy with just one of those beauties if they come in at about $300.

belgolas August 29, 2007 03:08 PM

I doubt they will be $300.

magictorch August 29, 2007 04:51 PM

perhaps not initially

But Intel has got the ball rolling by pricing the Q6600 in the $300-340 bracket.

Given that the release of AMD's K10 will likely co-incide with a new wave of cpus from Intel we may get lucky enough to have some of the lower clocked quad K10's at the that price-point.

Intel wants to hurt AMD and stick to its tick tock masterplan so it wouldnt surprise me to see a nose-dive in prices...

well heres hoping..Ive only set aside about $800 for a platform upgrade (MB, CPU, mem).

belgolas August 29, 2007 05:11 PM

I hope your right :)