Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   ASUS P7P55D Deluxe Motherboard Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/23878-asus-p7p55d-deluxe-motherboard-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL October 1, 2009 11:05 PM

ASUS P7P55D Deluxe Motherboard Review Comment Thread

As Lynnfield processors muscle their way into the market, the number of motherboards available for the platform has grown in leaps and bounds. Because of this quick expansion, many manufacturers are struggling to find ways to differentiate their products from those of the competition. ASUS hopes their P7P55D Deluxe will have enough unique features ... [ Read full article ]

esperasoppa October 2, 2009 12:15 PM

A very good read. What do you think of the EVGA FTW (non 200), they are about the same price, and I like the EVGA color a bit better, but it seems this Asus board is both cheaper and more feature-rich.

gbc02 October 12, 2009 11:28 AM

Can you please help me understand the power consumption part of the review.

Is it power consumption for just the motherboard, or the entire system as a whole? If it is the entire system, could you let me know what the setup for the test; is it the same as indicated earlier, with both video cards being used? If so, please indicate this in the italicized text where you inform the reader how you loaded the gpu.

simultaneously loading the GPU with OCCT v3.1.0 GPU:OCCT

A couple of typos in that section, but otherwise a great review.

We also tan this test without EPU being installed on the system, to see what the difference would be.

In bone stock form, the P7P55D Deluxe actually exhibited slightly power consumption across the board than the Intel DP55KG.

jerryspoor November 12, 2009 08:31 PM

Slow SATA?

The P7P55D Deluxe performs well in Windows Performance Test except for the primary hard drive. The highest score you can get is a 7.9.

I get:
Processor 7.5
Memory 7.5
Graphics 7.8
Gaming graphics 7.8
Primary hard disc 5.9

This bad hard disc performance is with a Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000 RPM hard drive. I suspect the problem is the motherboard. On one review they suggest the Asus' "DriveXpert" feature in the BIOS will not do any good. I believe the Drive Expert feature is for pairing 2 hard drives together. According to the ASUS manual this DriveXpert function is only for data drives and not for the primary operating system drive.

After spending a fortune for a fast gaming computer and an expensive hard drive it is depressing to see such a slow hard drive performance.

SKYMTL November 12, 2009 08:33 PM

The Windows Performance Test means nothing IMO.

SugarJ November 12, 2009 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryspoor (Post 286852)
After spending a fortune for a fast gaming computer and an expensive hard drive it is depressing to see such a slow hard drive performance.

The problem is that the Velociraptor really isn't any faster than the latest generation of Caviar Blacks, in terms of transfer speed. It rocks them on access time though.

If you want your machine to really shine, put a OCZ Vertex, Gskill Falcon, or Intel X-25M SSD in there as your boot drive. Then your performance index will be where you expect it.

jerryspoor November 14, 2009 02:19 PM

P7P55D Delux TurboV Pin out

I broke 2 wires on the TurboV plug. The red and white wires. I need the correct hook up. Anyone with this board please look at the TurboV remove plug that plugs into the motherboard and give me the correct wire colors. Please email me at js@tkpro.com.

They are one of 2 choices.

Large Black
Black
Green
White
Red

or

Large Black
Black
Green
Red
White