Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 25, 2007, 11:51 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default ASUS P5KC testing

Hey guys, I finally got a chance to do some testing with this P5KC and I am going to share the results here for those thinking of getting the board. I am going to start with a few unmodded tests with DDR2, do some vmods and retest, and then do some dice benching. I will also have some DDR3 to play with shortly.

First off, I'm using:

ASUS P5KC - BIOS 701
Mushkin 4GB HP2-6400
Mushkin XP-650
evga 7800GTX
E6600
Water blocks on CPU, GPU, and NB

So far board seems ok, but there is a BIOS issue. 1st I cant seem to adjust DRAM Freq without total instability. If I leave it on auto, it's fine but if I manually select any options I cant even boot.

Vdroop is also really bad, worst I've seen actually. Luckily I have a vdroop mod that I will do asap. For example 1.55v BIOS = 1.425v real measured with DMM.

First test I did was to get some 24/7 stable clocks so I can get folding up and running again. My mediocre E6600 did 3500mhz fairly easily and Im running this 4gb kit at 1:1 for now until I figure this DRAM Freq issue out. Vdimm is @ 2.0v, vcore 1.475v.

I have already completed a few SMP WUs, so I can say these settings are fine for now. SMP is super picky for stability, more than orthos in some cases.

Last edited by Eldonko; August 25, 2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old August 25, 2007, 11:54 AM

The first vmods I will do are vdroop and vcore. BIOS vcore only goes to 1.7v and with droop over 0.1v this is not going to cut it for my uses unmodded. Here are the first two mods, I will post a new pics after I actually do them.

Old August 25, 2007, 12:18 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

2 questions.

1. Your AUX is on fire? 127*C? LOL
2. What is that Memtest program running under WinXP? I tought that you needed a bootable floppy to run Memtest?
Old August 25, 2007, 12:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
2 questions.

2. What is that Memtest program running under WinXP? I tought that you needed a bootable floppy to run Memtest?
Heres the link to that memtest
MemTest: RAM reliability tester for Windows
I have used it for a couple of years now, very nice program IMO.
You have to run 2 instances of it though as it tops out @ 800mb of ram think it was 800, been awhile since i used it, no new hardware,poo.

Quote:
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 25, 2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
2 questions.
I have no idea what sensor that is taking temp from, but its always @ that temp so im sure it's just a bug. That memtest is HCI memtest for windows - MemTest: RAM reliability tester for Windows. Each instance can test 1gb of mem and you can run as many as you need at once. I was just running 1 instance because with xp I cant utilize all of my 4gb mem and orthos + 1gb hci memtest has me into my pagefile more than I like.
Old August 25, 2007, 06:35 PM

Tested max FSB, seems to be around 490 max benchable. Will work on it some more and post updates.

Old August 25, 2007, 06:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

DO you have a quad to test with Eldonko?
Old August 25, 2007, 07:09 PM

Not yet but I am going to pick one up at some point.
Old August 25, 2007, 09:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I am really debating what to get for a replacement for my 680i. I like the P5K Premium but I kinda hate Asus because of a god awefull RMA, but I dont know if I really feel like paying $320 for a DFI P35 and I hate Gigiabyte 'cuz of the colors they use on their boards.

Add the X38 coming out in a month or so, and you have a hell of a chice on your hands, dont you
Old August 26, 2007, 04:15 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I have no idea what sensor that is taking temp from, but its always @ that temp so im sure it's just a bug. That memtest is HCI memtest for windows - MemTest: RAM reliability tester for Windows. Each instance can test 1gb of mem and you can run as many as you need at once. I was just running 1 instance because with xp I cant utilize all of my 4gb mem and orthos + 1gb hci memtest has me into my pagefile more than I like.
Thanks to you and Super' for the Memtest link. I will surely use it. Is it as reliable as Memtest86, in finding errors?