Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24, 2009, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default CPU equivalence

I am not sure this belongs in here, but I am sure you will forgive me if it doesn't.

I am wondering how a CPU speed performance can be rated/compared. I am asking this because I was checking how my computer fared according to systemrequirementslab when it comes to a game like DiRT.

One of the requirement being CPU speed. At stock speed, it said, "You Have: 3.0 GHz Performance Rated at: 6.75 GHz" (if I remember right), with a mild oc, it said: "You Have: 3.57 GHz Performance Rated at: 8.0325 GHz"

How do they come with such equivalence ? Would it be possible to see a chart using a similar measurement where many different CPU speed is rated ? AMD and Intel.
Old September 24, 2009, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They probably just look at number of cores. Of course a quad core is not directly 4 times as fast (they probably use something like 3x as fast). And they also probably know which games support quad cores.
Old September 24, 2009, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i am lost man i don't know what you mean
Old September 24, 2009, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
They probably just look at number of cores. Of course a quad core is not directly 4 times as fast (they probably use something like 3x as fast). And they also probably know which games support quad cores.
Yup, that makes sense, it seems they multiply the speed by 2.25. I guess I was wondering if it was the same for all quad core CPU.
Old September 24, 2009, 12:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They might rank it by cache also.