Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2009, 05:21 PM
Rookie

Default Welcome me to the forums :D

Long time reader first time poster here at HWC - Just wanted to say hi to everyone and introduce myself, I`m KrisMRT, Decent overclocker, PC enthusiast and french canadian (currently residing in Ville-marie QC)

I'm building myself/replacing a secondary PC (HTPC/with limited gaming) and decided to go with an AMD/ATI build, I`ve always been a intel/nvdia fanboi and with the release of the lga 1156 socket which dissapointed me, I thought I would try something new.

Let me know what you guys think of the combo and what you might change (I know almost nothing of AMD/ATI hardware so help me out if I`m doing something wrong)

New from ncix :
Case : NZXT Beta
Mobo : Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P ATX
CPU : AMD Phenom X3 720BE
GPU : Powercolor 4770 (it`s too cheap to turn down)
Cooling : CM Hyper 212 Plus + OCZ Freeze TIM

Used from old PC :
Boot drive: OCZ Agility 30g
Secondary : WD Caviar black 1TB
Media Storage : WD Caviar Green 1TB
Ram : 2x2gigs of OCZ ddr2 1066
PSU : OCZ stealthstream 600w
CD/DVD : LG 16x
Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, and OS are also being recycled from old PC.

I`m being cheap (value?) with this build as my primary i7 PC cost me almost 3k and my GF will not let me do that twice ...
Old September 17, 2009, 05:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

Welocme to the forums !! A pleasure to meet you :)
I wish i could give you my thoughts on your system !! But i am just a noob still learning alot from others here :)

but i think you will find many smart folks here and nicer thean they are smart!
Old September 17, 2009, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome to HWC

I can't say much about the case, as I have never dealt with NZXT, nor know anyone that has. But as for the build, you could likely save yourself a bit of cash. I would suggest dropping your MB down to a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H as you don't appear to be looking in to crossfire or heavy O/C'ing. On that same note, save yourself the cost of the CPU cooler, as stock AMD coolers are fine if you're not O/C'ing. You could also drop your PSU down to the 500W StealthXStream and still be overpowered. And finally, you don't need a video card on the 780g board for HTPC purposes, but if you're going to buy one for gaming, get an HD4850. They're about 10-15% faster than the 4770, and you can pricematch them to the same price. Here's a link to the Sapphire HD4850 using our own price compare system, showing it at $103.
Old September 17, 2009, 06:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

There's a review of the NZXT Beta here on HWC, video review too (; .
Also for cheaper price - performance ratio can be found here:
NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Value Bundle Deal AMD Athlon II X4 620 AM3 CPU & Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H DDR2 785G Motherboard - X4-620-MA785GM-US2H In Canada. .
$200 Good mobo + Good quad core cpu. Mobo has an IGP that works great for HTPC's !

The 4770 isn't needed.
So just the case + this combo is all that's necessary ...
$260 upgrade (; .
It'll soar for HTPC purposes, a true quad core, and a very good IGP.
If you want to game on it well then go ahead with the 4770.
Same if you want to OC get the hyper 212, though not sure how much these new Quads OC , as noone has done it yet .
Old September 17, 2009, 06:54 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the welcome guys

Appreciate the suggestions - I do plan on overclocking the 720 a and the 4770 should be enough to power the gaming I plan on doing on this PC, nothing intense just enough to let my Me / my gf play newish games with decent frame rates with very good power consumption.

I might buy a second 4770 when it comes time to sell this PC and put it on ebay or something "1000$ WTFBBQWOWZ IT HAS 2 VIDEO CARDS IN IT SUPER PC!"
Old September 17, 2009, 10:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Ooh, maybe you could experiment on how high those X4 620's go ;P !
Old September 18, 2009, 12:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I still vote 4850... Same price for more power
Old September 18, 2009, 04:23 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
I still vote 4850... Same price for more power
+1
Seriously, why get something less powerful at the same price? And the 4850 is a great HTPC card aswell!
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Thermaltake Armor
Corsair TX850W
Mushkin HP3 2x2GB DDR3
Samsung SATA DVD-RW

MSI GeForce GTX 275 Twin Frozr
Old September 18, 2009, 05:28 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Nono, No. I'm Kris, dammit. lol. And I Live Quebec.... hehe.

On a serious note, welcome to the forum! Looks like a nice build you have going there!

Personally, I would try out the new X4 620/630 is you're not looking to overclock very high. You'll still have some OC headroom, albeit not as much as a "BE" processor, but you'll save $50 or so on the processor. For the gaming aspect of your system the choice between a 4770/4850 is pretty much up to you, but remember that new cards are coming out from all the players in the near future, including (already confirmed) the 5850 for approx. $200. So maybe for now, get a Mobo with an IGP (780G/790GX) and save for the new generation, if yo can.

Old September 18, 2009, 04:07 PM
Rookie

Talking

Well this is akward... another Kris from quebec...

Thanks for your suggestions guys - I had thought about the 4850 and the X4 620/630 before purchasing these, but the overclocker in me didn`t let me pick those parts.

The 4770 overclocks very well (From what I`ve read) and, If I get a decent overclocking card, should perform as good as a 4850.

The 720BE is kind of the same deal, at stock settings, the 620 would probably be the better choice. However, an unlocked multiplier and OC headroom is a perfect combo to keep me entertained for a while as I try to reach it`s max potential.

I'm assuming my build passes all basic compatibility issues and such as no-one has pointed any fatal flaw I may have made with my hardware selection.

Thanks again for all your input
Case: NXZT Beta SSD: OCZ Agility 30g Secondary HD : WD Caviar black 1TB+WD Caviar green 1TB CPU: AMD Phenom x3 720 Ram : 4GB DDR2 800mhz GPU: Powercolor HD4770 PSU: OCZ stealthstream 600w