Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2009, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default how to check if CPU performing up to par?

I have been using my HTPC for the last couple of weeks and it seems to bog down freez up like my old P$ used to do ,how can I tell if this AMD athlon 64 x2 5600+ ( 4 gb ddr2 800 ram)is working like it should.
when ever I downlaod more then three torrents at a time the system starts to lag. at first I thought that it was because of windows 7 so I rebooted into xp and tried and still the same thing. not sure if this is normal or not . how do I check for things like if both cores are working , and whatever else I can check for
Old September 15, 2009, 03:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

sounds like a hard drive problem. check under task manger to make sure both cores are on
Old September 15, 2009, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

when I open up task manager I don't see where I can check to see which cores are on where do I see that in task manager?
hmm I wonder if it has anything to do with the cool and quiet settings for AMD

Last edited by Shadowmeph; September 15, 2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old September 15, 2009, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes you can see it under performance/ plus you can check affinity if you right click a processes or service
Old September 15, 2009, 05:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You should see two graphs in the Performance tab of Task Manager. If not, you'll need to go to your BIOS and enable the second core.

It also sounds like a HDD problem too. Make sure you clean all the crap off of it with software like CCleaner and SUPERAntiSpyware, and run a virus scan. Then defrag your disk. Try reinstalling your torrent application as well and set its priority to low.
Old September 15, 2009, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

there we go ok found it and yes they are both working thanx .
Old September 15, 2009, 09:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What happened? You can download the Dual Core Optimizer from AMD... Just google: Dual COre optimizer AMD

-Plato