Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 17, 2007, 09:02 PM
Rookie

Default Noob-ish Questions

Hello everyone,

Its been a long time since I've build an OC rig (not since the <1GHZ days). While I've been researching my next build, I came across something that I wanted some user opinions on...

My question is this.. How important is lapping the heat sink? For my next build, I'll be using a Thermright Ultra 120 Extreme to cool a Q6600 on an Asus P5K in a Antec P182 case. I'm not shooting for the stars in terms of the OC, I would be quite pleased to reach 3.0GHz. I'm VERY reluctant to lap the CPU ISF itself, but considering giving the procedure a shot on the U120X.

2nd: This machine will NOT have any high current draw devices (graphics cards, etc), just on board video is OK for my application. Is a 500w PSU sufficient to support a Q6600 @ 3GHz on a P5K with 4GB PC2-6400?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.. I'll post some details of the build once it gets underway.
Old August 17, 2007, 09:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like the TR Ultra 120 Extreme yeilds the greatest results with a mount mod. Cant find a link to the mod ATM but it is easy as I have read. Basically you stick a penny or a loonie in between the sink and the retention clip so it has more force on the chip.

As far as the Power Supply goes, you can get many fantastic power supplies in the 600-750w range for good prices so I would reccomend trying to get one of those. The Corsair 620 comes to mind ;)
Old August 17, 2007, 09:19 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
Sounds like the TR Ultra 120 Extreme yeilds the greatest results with a mount mod. Cant find a link to the mod ATM but it is easy as I have read. Basically you stick a penny or a loonie in between the sink and the retention clip so it has more force on the chip.
Thanks for the feedback :) I have heard these coolers tend to fit a bit loose... I'll keep that in mind when I mount it.
Old August 17, 2007, 09:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Get yourself a high quality PSU. It's something you should never cheap out on. Get something from Enermax, Corsair and the most expensive, PC Power & Cooling. All top brands. 500-600W range should be fine.

Don't bog yourself down with onboard graphics, just pickup an 8500GT or something cheap instead.

I don't see a point in lapping the ThermalRight Ultra heatsink. It has a pretty nice base as-is. If you want to lap something, you'd do the CPU IHS first as Intel's are known for being uneven. Of course, you loose all warranty doing this, but get roughly a 3C drop. You shouldn't need to though. Just slap on some fairly high CFM fans on the heatsink and ensure you have good case airflow.
Old August 17, 2007, 09:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I totally love the Silverstone ST75ZF. I am running all the stuff in my sig plus allot more and ran 1.65V to my Q6600 and not a hiccup. One of the best power supplies I have ever owned. Can be found on sale for around $160 CAD.

I got mine on sale at NCIX.
Old August 17, 2007, 09:52 PM
Rookie

Default :)

Thanks for all the quick replies..

I think I've decided agains lapping after doing some more reading... If I have alot of heat issues I'll consider it but I'd rather have a warranty than a 3C heat decrease...

What do you think of this?
Asus P5K Socket 775 Intel P35 ICH9 Chipset Dual - Channel DDR2 & Mushkin Enhanced Memory EM2-6400 DDR2-800 2 X 1GB - Canada Computers $251.97
Old August 17, 2007, 11:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

That would be a good setup, but I am unsure of what IC that memory is based on. The place I used to find out what IC's were used on what seems to be gone now.

It would be nice to have Micron D9 GMH so you could pull some OC's off without having to worry about your RAM konking on you. The nice thing is the price of 8500C5 sticks these days.

The P5K with some easy Vmods is a killer low cost board. I almost bought one untill I found the pencil Vdroop mod for my 680i

I think I will wait for X38 Intel based boards
Old August 18, 2007, 07:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Mushkin EM series are not Microns. If you want Micron you need to get the HP2 series.

See here: DDR2 RAM List
Old August 18, 2007, 08:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Mushkin EM series are not Microns. If you want Micron you need to get the HP2 series.

See here: DDR2 RAM List

Thasks jdrom. That was the list I was looking for. Couldnt remember the link.

I would also look for a used pair to get a really nice deal. You can check in the FS thread here, or try redflagdeals in the BST forum there. Great deals to be had for all, just have to be a little carefull. If you want any advice hit me up with a PM either here, or there. I go by the same username there too ;)
Old August 18, 2007, 09:43 AM
Rookie

Question Orientation..

What is the best way to orient the U120X... East/West (air flow upwards) or North/South, airflow towards the rear of the case... The case is a P182 so it has fans in both locations...