Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 8, 2009, 02:08 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Default Where's AMD? And everyone else...

No, this isn't "Where's Waldo?" With the release of the i5, it's about time that AMD pulled out their collective butt-plugs and made something a little more competitive in the higher (and now due to i5) mid price ranges. They cannot survive scraping the bottom with low-end dual cores.

So where is AMD? No, this isn't a rant thread either. Insight into the future is more like it. For all the AMD-fans out there, or people like myself that just would HATE to see an Intelopoly, we need something to look forward to.

So? Where's AMD? True, they're starting to get some nice yields @ 45nm Hex-Cores. Enough to make more models of the current-gen "Istanbul" server processors and even enough to show off their "Magny Cours" architecture a little (2x Istanbuls on one CPU with the massive G34 socket). But despite all this, I'm not excited... They're the biggest competitor to Intel and have done nothing but fall behind in recent years. It's time for something new to come out. Anything.

Bobcat, Bulldozer, "Future is fusion".... it's all starting to seem like BS to me. Nothing that they've come out with recently approaches what they Said they'd have coming. True, the latest Phenom IIs clock higher than the previous gen and have a better architecture, but who gives a when Intel has i5s out now that will match or beat the best AMD offerings at (in some cases) 50-100$ less?

How about VIA? Don't even think about it. There was some, tiny glimmer of hope in my mind when they released the "Isaiah" architecture (now called Via nano). But what have they done with it? Squat. Their single core 1.6Ghz can beat an Intel Atom at some benchmarks, but the newer Atom 330's leave Nano in the dust. There were rumors of a dual or even quad core Via Nano, but that's probably never going to happen either.

So what do you all think? Is it time to declare an Intelopoly? The thought depresses me...
Old September 8, 2009, 08:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm not really up on my AMD future products, but It seems like they'll be just rolling with the punches for some time, especially with the releases of today's shiny new toys.

One thing that's always concerned me is AMD's marketing or lack thereof. Forget the enthusiast market, and think about the mainstream customer's Jill and Joe Six-Pack's buying their computer off of a Future Shop shelf. I think for them, AMD is a no-namer, whereas Intel is a premium product, even if that may not the case. I think this is because of a lack of mainstream advertising.

I can't for the life of me remember an AMD commercial on TV, because either they haven't made any, or they were unremarkable. Intel on the other hand, is in my opinion, a juggernaut because mainly of their advertising to the mass-market. I'm sure if you mentioned the name 'Intel' to a group of 10 people off the street, nine will know the name, and a few will know the jingle that goes with it. Mention AMD, and you'll get a sea of blank faces. While Intel is not 'gotta-have-it' like Apple or Nike are, they have reached the customer base effectively.

AMD is going to be weathering a hell of a storm, and probably knows that it ain't gonna get by selling unlocked tri-cores and chipsets based on superior integrated graphics. That's why I think they really, really need to get their ass in gear and get a good advertising agency, especially now that the we're slowly moving out of the economic dip. It'll need to be creative advertising, maybe a little snarky, but not tacky, and have some good staying power, because I doubt they have the money for too many commercials or bus-stop ads.
Old September 8, 2009, 09:55 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I agree marketing is everything these days. I think if AMD marketed themselves as contemporary and free thinking opposition to "cruel, ruthless" corporate minded Intel they could at least get influence within liberal circles. Somewhat like Mac did except not so cocky and pretentious.
Honestly, I wouldn't be vastly upset if AMD dropped out of the enthusiast market, because they seem to be having some success delivering to the budget minded with the Callisto's and Athlon II's. So long as Intel has competition and can't monopolize the consumer will still see the benefits.
But in all seriousness, if AMD drops out, I'm selling my super amazing, earth shattering rig (sarcasm) for a netbook and Play Station 3... *cries*. Or I guess a PS4 by the time that could happen.
Old September 8, 2009, 10:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It would not be hard for AMD to take a ride over intel. They just have to drop the AM X socket go with a LGA one and my god, the chipset, change them and make a chip with 1 line per core. So the core would be able of working all alone and every single core will be able to have it's own memory. I just tell it simply but it's a bit more then that I just don't want to wright a book here. We all know that AMD can do the job and beat intel they have done it in the past, remember the Athlon XP :P For now they deliver to us many good worksation server but...I wont buy a 1500$ CPU witch is made to be on a board with 3 other CPU Only Cmetaphor can do that XD.
Long life to the green team!

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 8, 2009, 10:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They need price drops :) Let's see 720BE at $120!!!

-Plato
Old September 8, 2009, 11:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
We all know that AMD can do the job and beat intel they have done it in the past, remember the Athlon XP
But at that time intel had buggered up with the P4 did they not?
The unfortunate thing is just that since intel is such a juggernaut it is hard for others to really compete. All they can hope to do is keep a good price:performance ratio and perhaps try something different and new with their CPUs every now and then.(or at least different from what intel is doing)
Old September 8, 2009, 11:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

When Intel is involved in such a large part of the market including Apple its difficult for the under dog to compete.

AMD has for the longest time been basically the chip for stuff that isn't cpu intensive and really to me will remain that way.
Old September 9, 2009, 04:56 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

It's not over until it's over.
Old September 9, 2009, 05:32 AM
Allstar

A few years back when AMD was outperforming Intel (pre Core 2 days) two issues sprang up which caused AMD to crash and burn.

Dell started ordering AMD cpu's for their lineup which caused a shortage. They were not able to supply the market demand.

The second was AMD changed to a different socket dumping 939 after a short time which angered many and resulted in lost business.

AMD's niche seems to be offering for example a 720 for 140$ which performs better than an Intel 8400 for 200$ ...
Old September 9, 2009, 05:42 AM
Rookie

There's also the problem that AMD has been losing money for some time now, so the difficulty is how Intel is already so far ahead that it would take a massive amount of R&D for them to truly compete again, something I'm not sure they can do on a financial level right now.

While I've always preferred Intel for personal preferences even when AMD was ahead, I do hope they manage to stick around and provide competition. Especially since if AMD closes shop then we also lose the only video card competitor to Nvidia at the same time.