Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9, 2009, 05:38 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Don't even get me started with Intel's marketing "propaganda". They've been sued multiple times for their marketing schemes but the damage has been done. AMDs lawyers should be tearing out a chunk of Intel's hide for the BS they've pulled... but they don't really. At least not enough to make any difference.

Intel's R&D? Who said that? What R&D? Let's see now, what have they done that's truly Original in the past few years? And what about in the years to come?

-Die shink? Nope, everyone does that.
-Integrating a memory controller? Ripped from AMD and the rest, GJ Intel.
-DDR3? Only Intel was cocky enough to push the entire enthusiast market into buying newer and more expensive Ram that really doesn't make a huge difference outside synthetic benchmarks.
-Integrated graphics on cpu? Ripped off from AMD yet again. AMDs been planning "Bobcat" and "Bulldozer" supposedly with this kind of technology for years... but Intel, with the steal-from-anyone policy, can beat them to it through sheer cash. That disgusts me.
-"Turbo mode"? Now this I can honestly say I'm not sure about. If the processor can run stabily at a higher speed, and you already have EIST to lower the heat output under idle states... why bother nerf'ing your CPU just to say it has "Turbo mode" and can clock higher when necessary? Just clock it higher to start with and back off on the multi to save power As Always.

Sigh. I'm not even really sure why I started this thread. Perhaps in my dream of dreams someone important somewhere would read threads like this and realize "Hey, we Should make something new!". I don't care who it is, AMD, VIA, that chinese chip maker (forgot its name) or even that new group of semiconductor companies (there's about 7-8 of them) that want to make an efficient processor. Someone just has to step up to the plate and smack Intel squarely in the face for lacking to innovate despite controlling the vast majority of the market.

Now Im sure some of you are saying "Well, why doesnt one of the other companies do something then?". You just read the answer. Through their shady marketing Intel has grown into a monster in terms of funds and value, choking all the other companies on the market. And it's fairly obvious that you need money like that to innovate.... why then why doesn't Intel do it?

Oh wait, they never will. They can sit on their golden-plated rears and reap the rewards of occasionally releasing a die shrink or a minor architecture upgrade every year or so (I mean c'mon, how different is the i5 to the i7? Yes, later models are supposed to have more in them, but right now Intel is basically nerf'ing i7s without a tri-channel memory controller and marketing it as a whole new chip). Intel won't innovate because they don't need to, and that would cut into their profits. No one else can because there's not enough money left. If anyone believe that the PC is going the way of the dodo, it's because of companies like Intel. There's more innovation in current gen consoles than PCs nowadays.

Someone else continue... I've far too angry now. heh.
Old September 9, 2009, 06:04 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Ditching S939 was a kick in the nuts to any AMD user . If you have to go out and upgrade your CPU, your motherboard and ram, you might as well have shifted to the faster platform. It was cheaper for me to goto C2D than to drop a 4800+ in my system at the time. It might have only been an E6300, but it spanked a 4800+
Old September 9, 2009, 06:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post

Sigh. I'm not even really sure why I started this thread. Perhaps in my dream of dreams someone important somewhere would read threads like this and realize "Hey, we Should make something new!". I don't care who it is, AMD, VIA, that chinese chip maker (forgot its name) or even that new group of semiconductor companies (there's about 7-8 of them) that want to make an efficient processor. Someone just has to step up to the plate and smack Intel squarely in the face for lacking to innovate despite controlling the vast majority of the market.
There are some rumor out there telling that IBM is coming back to the CPU market. Some months ago they show in a bit secret conference a CPU wich was clocked at 10Ghz if my memory is good but...If IBM want to overclass intel they can do it. Don't forget that it's IBM who show to Intel how to make 45nm CPU and they show them how to reduce power and heat. IBM is the leader in everything that is research and development in High tech lvl. The day they will come back to the market or the day they will seriously start to help AMD, Intel is going to be in serious trouble.

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 9, 2009, 06:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That is pertty much why I try to purchase AMD and ATI stuff instead of Intel or Nvidia. I want my money to go and help a smaller (even tho big) company, so that it can do some more R & D and make everything better by pushing CPUs and GPUs further.
Old September 9, 2009, 06:23 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
That is pertty much why I try to purchase AMD and ATI stuff instead of Intel or Nvidia. I want my money to go and help a smaller (even tho big) company, so that it can do some more R & D and make everything better by pushing CPUs and GPUs further.
My policy precisely. Support the little guy, and someday the little guy might stand up and punch the big monster in the nose. lol.
Old September 9, 2009, 06:41 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Go underdogs .
Though i'm running nvidia & intel at the moment, i've had a preference for AMD / ATI .
As consumers, let alone enthusiasts we can't allow one dominant company to take over. It's like the policy of buying local and protecting your mom and pop stores from Walmart.

Heck, AMD gives good offers for low end, and they didn't repeat the s939->AM2 mistake this time, unlike Intel ... LGA775, LGA 1156, LGA1366
That is just stupid, and giving consumer confusion.
At least AMD this time, added compatibility with AM2+ & AM3 amongst each other.
Old September 9, 2009, 07:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Personnally i have no brand preference. I'am going for the one who give me more for my money. I take 2 processor in the 210-240$ price range, compare MB price, etc... if one is giving me more i'll take this one instead of the other...
Old September 9, 2009, 09:00 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
No, this isn't "Where's Waldo?" With the release of the i5, it's about time that AMD pulled out their collective butt-plugs and made something a little more competitive in the higher (and now due to i5) mid price ranges. They cannot survive scraping the bottom with low-end dual cores.

So where is AMD? No, this isn't a rant thread either. Insight into the future is more like it. For all the AMD-fans out there, or people like myself that just would HATE to see an Intelopoly, we need something to look forward to.

So? Where's AMD? True, they're starting to get some nice yields @ 45nm Hex-Cores. Enough to make more models of the current-gen "Istanbul" server processors and even enough to show off their "Magny Cours" architecture a little (2x Istanbuls on one CPU with the massive G34 socket). But despite all this, I'm not excited... They're the biggest competitor to Intel and have done nothing but fall behind in recent years. It's time for something new to come out. Anything.

Bobcat, Bulldozer, "Future is fusion".... it's all starting to seem like BS to me. Nothing that they've come out with recently approaches what they Said they'd have coming. True, the latest Phenom IIs clock higher than the previous gen and have a better architecture, but who gives a when Intel has i5s out now that will match or beat the best AMD offerings at (in some cases) 50-100$ less?

How about VIA? Don't even think about it. There was some, tiny glimmer of hope in my mind when they released the "Isaiah" architecture (now called Via nano). But what have they done with it? Squat. Their single core 1.6Ghz can beat an Intel Atom at some benchmarks, but the newer Atom 330's leave Nano in the dust. There were rumors of a dual or even quad core Via Nano, but that's probably never going to happen either.

So what do you all think? Is it time to declare an Intelopoly? The thought depresses me...
Here's a good video that I laughed at intel for: YouTube - AMD Dragon vs Intel i7
Old September 9, 2009, 07:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice vid :) I've always prefered AMD b/c of their price/performance ratio. :)

-Plato
Old September 10, 2009, 09:27 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Looks like AMD is aiming to simplify their offerings for the average Joe and Jane.

Can AMD's Vision End PC Purchasing Nightmares? - Business Center - PC World

AMD to deploy new "Vision" marketing campaign - TechSpot News

They should have been doing this a while ago, and I think they attempted beforehand. Intel has their 'Genius' ratings and while they seem to be limited to only the CPU, and not the rest of the machine, AMD should have come up with something similar right afterwards.

PC World does bring up a couple good cons with this strategy, but anything that will simplify people's purchases will help AMD recoup some share.