Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2009, 12:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Broke off a round thing ( compacitor?)

I bought an asus motherboard a week or two ago and because of Asuss's great design for the Asus p5Ql pro mother board I broke off a ( not sure what it is actually called ) a round compacitor, it is round and has two pins that come from the mother board into it. anyways the design of this board is terrible for any newer large video card I broke this thing off trying to reach the clip so I can pull my video card. the funny thing is that when I started my PC it started up normally so the board still works and I have know idea what the thing was for but I pushed it back onto the two pins coming out.
heres a pic or the MB diagram with my very messy printing and drawing of the placment of the release click and the compacator thing

my question is this is this going to mess up my board or anything else?
I am not going to buy another asus board again I had bought one yesterday for my HTPC and the design is the same I can just barely get my HD3450 vid card to fit
Old August 27, 2009, 12:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

It's a capacitor, and it's job is likely to stabilize/eliminate voltage ripple going somewhere - possibly even that video card. Personally, I wouldn't want to run anything expensive on that board at this point - those pins aren't supposed to separate from the cap - so you're probably not going to be getting proper electrical contact. Does the capacitor heat up when you run the computer?
Old August 27, 2009, 12:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I am hoping he put the polarized capacitor back in the right way, if not that thing is eventually going to pop and potentially cause other damages to his board... Most capacitors in electronics (aka motherboards, graphics cards and power supplies) are what we called polarized. That means they have to go in a specific direction/way for them to work, if you put them in the wrong way you run the risk of blowing the capacitor and causing other potential damage to your board.

Shadowmeph, its called looking at the lay out of the board before purchasing it. EVERY motherboard company allows you to see each of their specific models on their websites.

Last edited by Arinoth; August 27, 2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old August 27, 2009, 12:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

rma rma
Old August 27, 2009, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

We learn from our mistakes ....
Old August 27, 2009, 01:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok that is what I am going to do
Old August 27, 2009, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

wow I just got back from Mikes computer shop and they won't do an RMA the guy there accused me of intentionally breaking off the compassator now I am out over 100 buck. what a joke I am never ever going to deal with those losers again .
the only reason I went there in the first place was because I would save time and the price of shipping
Old August 27, 2009, 02:36 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

There are a bazillion people out there with these boards and all manner of video cards in them, never heard of others doing this.. You just were not carefull enough.

Edit: I looked at a ton of pics of your motherboard online, yes is is close to the clip, but you can work the clip without contacting the cap, if you are carefull.

Last edited by Squeetard; August 27, 2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old August 27, 2009, 02:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just replace the capacitor....

Those motherboards are much harder to solder on than 10 years ago but if you have a good enough iron you can do it. I'll be getting a proper air gun for doing this kind of thing myself. Lots of people with older boards have cap problems.
Old August 27, 2009, 03:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Just replace the capacitor....

Those motherboards are much harder to solder on than 10 years ago but if you have a good enough iron you can do it. I'll be getting a proper air gun for doing this kind of thing myself. Lots of people with older boards have cap problems.
how do I figure out which way does it go on? also where do I find a compasitor I have a few old video card laying around hehe