refrecternator

[F7]

CAPACITOR! THATS IT!
no it is the FLUX CAPACITOR my answer to anything I don't know
Old August 28, 2009, 06:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well I think that I am going to try and use my soldering iron and remove the to pins that are in the board the soldering iron I have is a cheap one but it has the very sharp point so it should be very easy to heat the pins enough to pull them out. Now if I could find a place that sells "capacitors" in Abbotsford then I will replace it but I haven't found a place so far :(. what would be a good search enmgine to use to search for that type of business?
Old August 28, 2009, 06:34 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
well I think that I am going to try and use my soldering iron and remove the to pins that are in the board the soldering iron I have is a cheap one but it has the very sharp point so it should be very easy to heat the pins enough to pull them out. Now if I could find a place that sells "capacitors" in Abbotsford then I will replace it but I haven't found a place so far :(. what would be a good search enmgine to use to search for that type of business?
I would advise just sending it in as it is to be repaired. Rather than possibly causing more issues with this board.
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Thermaltake Armor
Corsair TX850W
Mushkin HP3 2x2GB DDR3
Samsung SATA DVD-RW

MSI GeForce GTX 275 Twin Frozr
Old August 28, 2009, 06:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Shadowmeph, DO YOU EVEN KNOW which hole is what (positive/negative) so you DO NOT blow the POLARIZED cap. If you DO NOT have a clue what i am talking about DO NOT REPAIR IT YOURSELF.
Old August 28, 2009, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Shadowmeph, DO YOU EVEN KNOW which hole is what (positive/negative) so you DO NOT blow the POLARIZED cap. If you DO NOT have a clue what i am talking about DO NOT REPAIR IT YOURSELF.
actually I do because the other capacitors of the same type are all situated in the same direction, they also have half colored top, red on one side and silver on the other also the writing on top of the capacitor all face the same way.
I contacted Asus and they told me to contact mikes computer so I am SOL.
Old August 28, 2009, 07:23 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
actually I do because the other capacitors of the same type are all situated in the same direction, they also have half colored top, red on one side and silver on the other also the writing on top of the capacitor all face the same way.
I contacted Asus and they told me to contact mikes computer so I am SOL.
IMO you should have an electronics tech do the soldering for you. These motherboards have very small tracings and if you look at the solder jobs currently on them, it's all machined. It would take a ton of skill to apply new solder and not accidentally short-out other traces/components.
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Thermaltake Armor
Corsair TX850W
Mushkin HP3 2x2GB DDR3
Samsung SATA DVD-RW

MSI GeForce GTX 275 Twin Frozr
Old August 28, 2009, 07:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I second the motion on not doing it yourself. A multilayer board can be a very difficult thing to work on properly too. What is a Multilayer PCB?
As stated, you also need to know the polarity of the cap, and you could disbond layers on the board with that soldering iron if you apply too much heat. Unless you have proper training and equipment I would highly recommend against trying this yourself.
You really need this stuff - Pace Direct - Conductive Rework Systems to do the job right!
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old August 28, 2009, 07:37 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I say GO FOR IT!
Old August 28, 2009, 08:36 PM
MVP

if you even put the iron near the board you could risk damaging components... and unless you can make micro globs and be 100% still you will fry the board. ask ASUS is they will repair it for a fee.

17" Macbook Pro (early 2011 model)
2.2Ghz i7-2720QM | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz | 750gb Toshiba HDD | ATI 6750M 1GB