Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2009, 04:31 PM
MVP

hmm... i wouldn't try it... try to contact ASUS directly maybe say it was a honest mistake... but i dunno technically you damaged it and usually that stuff aint covered. In the future be very careful, just think of it as open brain surgery, breaking of brain chunks isnt good.

also... dont mutilate things to get a new cap... just see if a pro store can replace it, it will be hard though... and i wouldn't trust the fix.

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
15" Macbook Pro Retina - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old August 27, 2009, 04:36 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
how do I figure out which way does it go on? also where do I find a compasitor I have a few old video card laying around hehe
Sounds like I would go to an electronics shop (a place that repairs televisions, etc) and see if they can do this for you. You need the proper one, and should not go around ripping off random pieces to try.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 27, 2009, 04:38 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Sounds like I would go to an electronics shop (a place that repairs televisions, etc) and see if they can do this for you. You need the proper one, and should not go around ripping off random pieces to try.

i wouldnt trust a fix me up... honestly i would send it to ASUS and pay them a repair fee or whatever they want. home fixes done poorly could lead to house fires.... burned out cards... and such

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old August 27, 2009, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think that I would rather have asus do it . man I am having a run of Bad luck first my mother board goes and in that process it possibly took out my bfg 260 maxcore then I bought a new mb and put everything together. then yesterday bought another mb for my htpc replaced the hd3870 with an HD3450 then this morning I pull the nvid 7900 card out so I could put the 3870hd in there but the stupid compasitor breaks off , Asus has really bad mb designs AMD or intel because the placement of things I could barely get that 3870 on either the amd or intel board even the AMD asus bought barely and I mean barely allow rear clearance of the 3450 video card. if I have to buy another board it isn't going to be asus unless they change the designs hehe. what the how am I typing on an angle hehe .
Old August 27, 2009, 05:26 PM
MVP

Quote:
I think that I would rather have asus do it . man I am having a run of Bad luck first my mother board goes and in that process it possibly took out my bfg 260 maxcore then I bought a new mb and put everything together. then yesterday bought another mb for my htpc replaced the hd3870 with an HD3450 then this morning I pull the nvid 7900 card out so I could put the 3870hd in there but the stupid compasitor breaks off , Asus has really bad mb designs AMD or intel because the placement of things I could barely get that 3870 on either the amd or intel board even the AMD asus bought barely and I mean barely allow rear clearance of the 3450 video card. if I have to buy another board it isn't going to be asus unless they change the designs hehe. what the how am I typing on an angle hehe .
eh iv had bad luck to.. specially with my current problem... but keep your head up, itll all work out and youll love your new rig!

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old August 27, 2009, 05:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I think that I would rather have asus do it . .
Just call them even if you have to pay them which i doubt. I would rather have them fix it like you said
Old August 27, 2009, 09:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

This probably will not be covered by warranty as it is physical abuse/damage that would cause a capacitor to break off and nothing else. Your best bet is what chris said, asus will charge you regardless of what story you said.
Old August 27, 2009, 09:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Shadowmeph,
If Asus tries to ream you for the repair, get a local electronics repair shop to replace and solder an appropriate capacitor.
I would not allow a computer shop touch a mb of mine - soldering skills would be suspect.
From Asus point of view, your mb warranty is most likely f****d.
Old August 27, 2009, 10:03 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxPete View Post
Shadowmeph,
If Asus tries to ream you for the repair, get a local electronics repair shop to replace and solder an appropriate capacitor.
I would not allow a computer shop touch a mb of mine - soldering skills would be suspect.
From Asus point of view, your mb warranty is most likely f****d.
Even if your warranty is done, they may still repair it for a fee just like sony and ps3's.

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old August 27, 2009, 10:34 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

CAPACITOR