Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2007, 09:29 PM
Top Prospect

Default How to properly apply thermal compound

Hello, I have been looking around the net for tutorials on "the proper way to apply thermal compound.

In this case I have a E6850 and will be using Arctic Silver 5. I see from the AS 5 tutorial http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appi..._dual_wcap.pdf (wow it looks like something from the 60's or 70's) Why not have nice clear & precise picture along with step by step instructions.... Not this http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appi..._dual_wcap.pdf

This is what doesn't make sense to me about this tutorial.

You have your processor and your suppose to apply a thin line in the center (the correct way) that is understandable. But then they go and apply a circular motion of compound on the heatsink. Doesn't this defeat the propose of applying a thin line of thermal compound carefully down the center of the die? That to me doesn't conform to making a nice solid contact....

I have seen some dumb ass stuff done as well. This one guy in order to achieve the nice "thin line of thermal compound" used tape on either side of his processor to make a little gap then applied the compound then removed the tape. Well all that careful clean is out the window being that tape has stick/glue/oils in it that to me = very bad. Using a finger again not good, dirt, oils bacteria are on your fingers regardless how much you wash your hands.

This is what I have come to conclude when applying thermal compound to die and heat sink.
First clean your die and heat sink using a coffee filter with a little dab of 99% isopropyl on it.

Once you clean both die and heat sink as best you can, inspect for dust and particles of any kind. Once inspection is clear apply a very small amount thermal compound on both die and heat sink. Using a clean plastic bag turn it inside out inserting a finger proceed to use a circular motion spreading the compound around evenly and equally. The compound should be spread out very thinly on both die and heat sink.

After thermal compound in applied place heat sink onto processor die and move ever so slightly circular motion then fasten into place.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Please, I would like to read other peoples procedures to applying thermal compound and place heat sink onto the processor.

Thanks
1 Primary Raptor X 150 gig + 2 150 gig Raptors in RAID 0,
Swiftech H20-220 Ultra with a Stealth GPU water block,
Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP-HC 24" monitor,
Lian Li V2000 Plus Case slightly modded,
Steelseries Akari Laser Gaming Mouse, Razor Tarantula keyboard,
AuzenTech Prelude Sound Card,
Pioneer VSX-1016TXV receiver with Bose 301's,
AKG K240 Phones, Blue Snowflake USB Microphone.
Old August 10, 2007, 09:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

I just do a small thin light coat across the cpu and keep it a bit thicker in the middle for warpage.
Old August 10, 2007, 09:35 PM
Top Prospect

Why the thin line of thermal compound on the die? then a bigger surface placement on the heat sink? Makes no sense?
Old August 10, 2007, 10:21 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus Masochist View Post
Why the thin line of thermal compound on the die? then a bigger surface placement on the heat sink? Makes no sense?
read the instructions...you apply the ceramique to the heatsink and rub it in to tin the heatsink. then you wipe it off. this removes all but microscopic particles of the thermal compound on the heatsink. this is basically the same thing you do to a soldering iron...tin it by keeping a layer of solder on the tip at all times to promote heat transfer. the tinning of the heatsink with ceramique is the same idea.

everyone has a different opinion on thermal paste and discussing it in open forums just leads to the loudest mouth winning the argument. in the end, all the 'standard' various methods only result in 1C~2C difference. by standard i mean not stupid such as a thin layer, a small dot in the middle, the recommended method by the manu, etc...
Old August 10, 2007, 10:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have never used arctic silver 5 or ceramique. I use OCZ ultra 5. I use latex gloves when I am handling memory modules, motherboards etc. This prevents oils and other contaminants from coming in contact with the pcb's and pins/contacts. As for applying thermal compound, I start with the cpu. I put a small blob directly in the centre. I then work it in circular motions making the thickness thinner as I approach the edges. I always leave approximately 1-1.5mm around the edges of the cpu clear of compound. I then lock down the cpu. Next I repeat the same process with the heatsink. Only this time, I use a little more compound . The reason being, when you place the heatsink on the cpu and lock it down, it squishes the compound down and out to cover up the edges of the cpu you left uncovered with a thin coat of compound. but not having excess come squishing out the sides (bad). Hope this helps!

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old August 10, 2007, 10:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
read the instructions...you apply the ceramique to the heatsink and rub it in to tin the heatsink. then you wipe it off. this removes all but microscopic particles of the thermal compound on the heatsink. this is basically the same thing you do to a soldering iron...tin it by keeping a layer of solder on the tip at all times to promote heat transfer. the tinning of the heatsink with ceramique is the same idea.
I use that method myself, didnt know it was called "tinning" though. Learn something new everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 10, 2007, 10:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Q-tips (politically: cotton swabs) and flat toothpicks work well to spread thermal compound. Q-tips may shed some cotton fibres onto the surface depending on the elasticity of the compound.
Old August 10, 2007, 11:21 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon View Post
Q-tips (politically: cotton swabs) and flat toothpicks work well to spread thermal compound. Q-tips may shed some cotton fibres onto the surface depending on the elasticity of the compound.

Sorry this won't do.. But the other sound good. so wiping it off... hmm interesting.

I guess there is no one right way. Tooth picks and cotton, that sounds like a problems waiting to happen or starting a fire for a marshmallow roast..

Sorry dude but thanks for the post.
Old August 11, 2007, 01:04 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I put a rice size dab on the center of the processor and use a small piece of cardboard usually cut off a business card and spread it as thinly as possible toward the outside edge of the chip. I then press the HS down give it a twist to create contact and secure it in place
Old August 11, 2007, 08:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I did it how Arctic Silver said. Put a line down the middle of the dies. My heatsink screws into the backplate, and the last time I took it off, the paste was pretty evenly spread around. The heatsink got twisted quite a bit while I was lining up the 2 screw holes so that might have helped too. Used AS5 btw.