Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2009, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

5ghz is a stretch for current 920's on anything but LN2 and above. Water you can hit 4-4.2ish pritty reliably with low heat (my 4ghz loads at 62c). From what I have seen around the net, the i7 D0's cap out regardless of heat/volts between 4 and 4.4ghz. To go above that, you have to crank the volts and get it colder then water can do.

So, it sounds like the architectural limitations of the i7 are at play, limiting it to 4ish.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 27, 2009, 08:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I heard that Intel are phasing out the 920's before the i5 comes out and the new i7's are going to be more expensive. Not sure if it true.

Anyone word on when Gulftown is going to be released?
Attached Images

Old August 27, 2009, 08:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bc View Post
I heard that Intel are phasing out the 920's before the i5 comes out and the new i7's are going to be more expensive. Not sure if it true.

Anyone word on when Gulftown is going to be released?
Holy jesus, that the hell is that?..

Sagath: what about TEC?
Old August 27, 2009, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclocker~4.1 View Post
Holy jesus, that the hell is that?..

Sagath: what about TEC?
I really couldnt say first hand. I'm not familiar with the performance capabilities of them. There is a couple guys on the forums who are. One of them is selling his Boreas on the BST forum right now.

My gut says it would meet somewhere half way between high-end air/water and LN2...but dont hold me to that at all because its just a guess.
Quote:
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 27, 2009, 09:17 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I really couldn't say first hand. I'm not familiar with the performance capabilities of them. There is a couple guys on the forums who are. One of them is selling his Boreas on the BST forum right now.

My gut says it would meet somewhere half way between high-end air/water and LN2...but dont hold me to that at all because its just a guess.
TEC is only good if the water kit has mass amounts of TEC coolers on it, most cheaper TEC kits contain insufficient amount to sufficiently cool the i7... Do not but a CoolIT...

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
15" Macbook Pro Retina - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old August 28, 2009, 12:01 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToXic View Post
TEC is only good if the water kit has mass amounts of TEC coolers on it, most cheaper TEC kits contain insufficient amount to sufficiently cool the i7... Do not but a CoolIT...
So if i TEC'd say, my rad. It would help chill the coolant?

I would use a PhaseChange device, but i have no clue how to go about that, I even have a freezer i can use or a mini fridge.... would love a how to to do that... it would be fun.
Old August 28, 2009, 12:12 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Freezer - mini-fridges don't work. They are designed to hold a temperature, with no added heat dump.

A modded CoolIt Boreas would be interesting to try on an i7, to see how much load the unit can handle while cooling at 100%. But condensation would be an issue.
Old August 28, 2009, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclocker~4.1 View Post
Yeh, i diddn't think they would be getting rid of the 1366 socket so fast. especially since that was the 775 killer. and i took a closer look at those I5's (or whatever they are called) and they aren't impressive.. at all. only "neat" thing i saw was a mAXT board with SLI...

After I learn QPI, I want to push the I7 to 5Ghz on liquid. With my QX9650 I got my computer to boot into windows at 4.9, but then immediately crashed...so i am hoping this miracle chip will excell.
Who said they were getting rid of the socket? I didn't see any word on that. The 1366 socket is the only socket that will get 6-core chips and beyond. It is meant as a workstation server socket, much like the 771 socket was.
Old August 28, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
But condensation would be an issue.
Shouldnt you be using Artists Eraser with this kind of setup anyways, for exactly this reason?
Quote: