Old August 26, 2009, 05:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Oh god.
Old August 26, 2009, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Extreme processors are stupid and not worth it imo. I wonder who actually buys them new....

Oh and I'll just add that most, if not all new Core i7, they're all D0 stepping.

@OP. Why are you updating when you already have such a kick-ass computer?

@3.0. I'd join your addiction and fold for HWC, but I like the over 1 million points I already got.

Oh and I just realized this...I build my computers hoping that I'll play games because I consider myself to be a casual, occasional gamer. However after stopping MapleStory, I find myself to install games, then just let it sit there just for the sake of folding. Heck I play Neopets just to pass time .

Would you say I'm addicted?
Old August 26, 2009, 05:42 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Who here's excited about the LGA1156 processors & mobos?
Dell XPS 630i / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.67GHz / Stock Cooling (Temporary) / 6GB DDR2 800 RAM + 4GB Windows ReadyBoost/ Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT / Samsung SpinPoint 640GB + Seagate FreeAgent 250GB / 750W PSU / Nvidia Nforce 650i SLI / Logitech X-235 Speakers + Plantronics .Audio 370 Gaming Headset / Dell 22' E228WFP / Razer DeathAdder /Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit
Airshehan
Old August 26, 2009, 06:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not me. I love my i7 CPU and board. Now is the time to buy i7! GO NAOW!
Old August 26, 2009, 06:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

@Geo: Why do i want to upgrade? Well, i'm pretty happy with my Proc\MoBo but i do want to upgrade my ram,HDD's and deffinetly my GPU. So i figure, why not go all the way. I see the performance the new cores put out and how well they work with the new GPU's as well. and i simply cant pass up the option for ETHER! SLI or Crossfire. I also look at the cooling options. as i have said, I have a WC kit, not used! and now i can buy the parts already set with watercooling adapters. the X58 EVGA for example.comes with a WC adapter. couppled with a Evga 295 GTX Hydro copper. Nice!

@Air: I'm not, but then again. I havent been paying attention to them... whats the big hype? Is it because they are.. what was it.. 32nm process?
Old August 26, 2009, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclocker~4.1 View Post
@Air: I'm not, but then again. I havent been paying attention to them... whats the big hype? Is it because they are.. what was it.. 32nm process?
Are they? I thought they were 45nm.

All 'new' tech is on old fabs, and revision tech is on new fabs. Thus, the next 32nm change would be the 2nd gen of i7's. I dont think P55's count, since they are 'new' with the northbridge on-die
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 26, 2009, 06:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Are they? I thought they were 45nm.

All 'new' tech is on old fabs, and revision tech is on new fabs. Thus, the next 32nm change would be the 2nd gen of i7's. I dont think P55's count, since they are 'new' with the northbridge on-die
Yeh, I'm completly misinformed on the new I5's

can you tell me the highlights?
Old August 26, 2009, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A quick Google search can find you all the details. Anandtech has a well written overview of the chip. Here are the highlights though:

-Socket 1156
-45 nm transistor node
-DMA memory bus (much slower than the i7 QPI bus, but there's more than enough headroom for dual-channel DDR3)
-Integrated Northbridge (lower latencies and higher bandwidth than typical remote Northbridge like on i7, but shouldn't prove to be that useful. Just less silicon, more board space and less heat perhaps)

That's really all the highlights. Just a cheaper version of the i7, as you can find i5s with 4 cores, 8 threads. Probably less overclocking headroom due to DMA memory bus though.
Old August 26, 2009, 07:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I know, I looked on Wiki, but i just wanted highlights. don't look too appealing to me.