Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2009, 05:37 PM
Rookie

Default Is this a good deal for a DX58SO

I can pick one up BNIB for $200, is that a good deal?
Old August 23, 2009, 05:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sure- it's 30% less than NCIX

lags behind the other x58s a little, but might be well worth the discounted price.
Old August 23, 2009, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack2006 View Post
I can pick one up BNIB for $200, is that a good deal?
IMO? No.

I'll put 100 bucks down that this guy got it from the Intel Retail Edge program. The board isnt worth 200 in featurset alone, and he scored it for about 1/3 of that price he is reselling it to you.

I wouldnt buy it. Id spend 50 more and get any other X58 board before the smackover junk. Now, if you got him down to 75-100, I might consider it just to get into i7, but thats only if I had to have i7 on the cheapest way.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 23, 2009, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

2009 - Core i7 920, Intel DX58SO, and Vista Ultimate & a Windows 7 Upgrade Voucher for $289

Wow- I had never heard of that, but what a deal (the one above is the american price) so people are probably buying the packge to get the windows 7 and the 920 and ditching the smackovers cheap. Seems impossible that any doughhead from best buy can get all that for 289 USD.
Old August 23, 2009, 07:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Wow- I had never heard of that, but what a deal (the one above is the american price) so people are probably buying the packge to get the windows 7 and the 920 and ditching the smackovers cheap. Seems impossible that any doughhead from best buy can get all that for 289 USD.
Now Now, the people in retail have to have some kind of compensation for putting up with some off the wall questions! Not that I am in retail, but I hear the stories from one of my girls who works at a Wal-Mart while she is going to university.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old August 23, 2009, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
2009 - Core i7 920, Intel DX58SO, and Vista Ultimate & a Windows 7 Upgrade Voucher for $289

My brother-in-law works at Future Sh!t. I asked him about it, he said he had no interest. So, I got the i7/ultimate/voucher for 149 or whatever ridiculously low price it was via him. Steal of a lifetime imo.

But that Smackover board wasnt worth it, an extra ~120 american? Forget it. But yeah, I could see people trying to flip the board. I didnt want the bother. I'll just get the board I actually want, that doesnt suck.
Quote:
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 24, 2009, 05:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Yowzers. This is one of the extremely few times in my life I wish I still was working retail. Or knew someone that did.

Also, what's with the SO hate? Yes, it isn't feature-loaded or anything but it's still a high quality board from what I heard.
Old August 24, 2009, 06:02 AM
Top Prospect

Thats crazy i would put it in the "once in a life time" category.
GPU: PowerColour HD 4890 Xfire
PSU: Corsair HX850
Case: CMD690

Last edited by Kylzer; August 24, 2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old August 24, 2009, 07:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuddles View Post
Yowzers. This is one of the extremely few times in my life I wish I still was working retail. Or knew someone that did.

Also, what's with the SO hate? Yes, it isn't feature-loaded or anything but it's still a high quality board from what I heard.
Because, at the price it is, there is many better options, with more features users tend to want. Even more so when you factor in who is purchasing the Retail Edge package.
Quote:
Old August 24, 2009, 08:41 AM
Rookie

I tried to find someone i know any of the intel supported retailers but i really dont know anyone in retail. So i forked over 280 cash for the i7D0, i guess the guy made money on me but that's the way of robin hood. Anyhow thanks for the input, i gather from what you are saying that somewhere in the $120 max range would be a good price to pick one of these borads up.