Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2007, 07:00 AM
Rookie

Default My new OC rig (it's in the making)

Hi,

This is going to be my first OC rig and I think I'm ready to buy the goods. Before doing so though, I'd like to run the list of main components through you guys had any recommendations or comments.

Here's the parts:

Silverstone 120MM FM121 Case Fan 800-2500RPM 17-39.5DBA MAX. 110CFM W/ Black Knob
Thermalright ULTRA-120 Extreme 6 Heatpipe Cooler LGA775 Heatsink *Fan Not Included*

Corsair HX520 CMPSU-520HX 520W Atx Triple 12V 40A Continuous 24PIN Atx Modular 120MM Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.66GHZ 1333FSB 4MB Retail

Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 DDR2 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dimm Dual Channel Memory Kit

ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP ATX LGA775 P35 DDR2 1333FSB 2PCI-E16 3PCI 2PCI-E1 SATA2 Sound Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R ATX LGA775 Conroe P35 DDR2 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 SATA RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard

Here comes the questions:

#1 - I know, I listed 2 different motherboards. From I've read, the P5K Deluxe is very nice board, but for $100 less, I get a good board out of the DS3R don't I? I won't be using the Crossfire because I'm getting a 8800GTS and I will be using RAID0 (2 or 3 drives). That being said, I read a few forum posts that SATA+RAID is a bitch with the Asus boards, how so?

#2 - I'm aiming for a decent OC (3.6Ghz at least, 8*450). Am I wasting money on that RAM? I would have to under clock my RAM to get 1:1
. The whole FSB:RAM ratio was quite an interesting read!

#3 - Stock NB/SB cooling? Should I remove the stock cooling and replace it with HR-05 or something else? Remove the stock stuff, remove cheap paste and reapply AS5 paste? Suggestions?

#4 - I haven't read anything about the portability of rigs stocked up full of fans and large chip heatsinks. Do you guys not attend LANs? (I'm assuming some of you play games)

Thanks!
Old August 10, 2007, 07:11 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Unless the P5K Deluxe is offering something uniquely necessary to you, then I advise against overpaying for a mainboard. The northbridge is normally the only one requiring proper cooling. You should also know that the nForce 6-series generates a lot of heat--the heatsink will feel hotter than the one on your processor.

As for memory, Crucial Ballistix are a very good bang-for-buck option, although they generally require some ridiculous voltages to maintain their solid performance.
Old August 10, 2007, 08:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

1. The Gigabyte board should be fine, although you could just grab the P5K (plain), if your going to be upgrading the cooling and all.

2. I think 1:1 gives you the best performance, but theres no harm in downclocking your RAM. This would lead to tighter timings so it may still be faster overall.

3. Replace it if you want. Usually just applying some Arctic Silver Ceramique (safer as the die is exposed), and putting back on the stock solution works along with a fan attached. However, on my P5N-E SLI, I put on a Noctua NH-U6 with a 60mm Panaflow fan on my northbridge. Southbridges are usually fine with a small passive heatsink.

Here's some pictures of mine:
DSC01420.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
DSC01423.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The SB ASUS fan/heatsink is gone now. It's just a plain passive heatsink from an older ASUS motherboard. Also the 60mm fan wasn't zip-tied on in those pictures. It's a slim fan so it fits nicely.

4. Portability is fine. Assuming you install everything correctly and don't leave anything loose.
Old August 10, 2007, 12:33 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the comments. I'm pretty sold on switching over to the DS3R board. Actually, the only thing that worries me is the Vdroop on it. Maybe I should look into getting P5K and the Vdroop mod (pencil mod) instead. Something to consider I guess!

I'm also looking at changing RAM modules. Those I listed are expensive ($194@DC). I can get the Tracers for $35 less and appear to have just as good reviews.