Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2009, 03:14 PM
Top Prospect

Default Worth it to buy a sound card or will MOBO sound be enough?

I'm planning on building a new comp next month when the new i7 processors come out but I wanted to know if it was worth it to buy a sound card or if the integrated sound card that modern motherboards come with provide sufficient audio quality for my 5.1 surround sound speakers? thanks in advance, i searched a bit but couldn't find exactly what I wanted.
Old August 21, 2009, 03:18 PM

My System Specs

It depends on how important sound quality is to you and what speakers you are using.
Old August 21, 2009, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sound cards are a great investment IMO, but it does matter what you're using for speakers.. if you have crappy speakers it kind of defeats the purpose of buying a sound card.
Old August 21, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It definitely defeats the purpose if you have low quality speakers. I would recommend a sound card if you're buying a nice pair of headphones, a quality set of PC speakers or a home theatre setup.
Old August 21, 2009, 07:48 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
It definitely defeats the purpose if you have low quality speakers. I would recommend a sound card if you're buying a nice pair of headphones, a quality set of PC speakers or a home theatre setup.

If you post what you will be using I am sure we can tell you what would make a good card for what you have.
Old August 21, 2009, 07:56 PM
Rookie

I have to agree with everyone else here. They are a great investment with the right hardware.

I have stuck with Onboard sound for a while. Probably because i don't get to play as much anymore and my wife already tells me I am half deaf. :)
Old August 21, 2009, 08:32 PM
Top Prospect

I definitely plan on using Headphones for gaming, I will be using my current Altec Lansing surround sound speakers. they're pretty decent speakers i picked up 5 years ago, no crackles and popping in em. I guess i should go for a good Sound Blaster sound card then... any recommendations? i don't need anything crazy that supports 7.1 surround sound but something that's good for headsets is good for me. thanks!
Old August 21, 2009, 08:35 PM

My System Specs

What is your budget? The Asus Xonar D1 or DX are likely the best budget cards out there. Although the Auzentech Forte is often on sale for sub-$100 as well.
Old August 21, 2009, 08:37 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
What is your budget? The Asus Xonar D1 or DX are likely the best budget cards out there. Although the Auzentech Forte is often on sale for sub-$100 as well.
i'm guessing $50-100 for a sound card is average.
Old August 21, 2009, 08:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Any new sound card will support 7.1, pretty hard to get one that doesn't now. I'd suggest a Xonar DX or X-plosion to keep it under $100.

Edit: 'd!