Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2009, 08:41 PM
Top Prospect

cool i'll look into it. when i was looking online i saw that there were some cards which were only 5.1 compatible and others which were 7.1, not really sure which were recommended or not so i figured i'd ask here. thanks a lot guys
Old August 21, 2009, 08:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

When you do your build, try your speakers with the onboard. Then try them with your sound card. It will be immediately obvious why you spent the money.
Old August 21, 2009, 08:47 PM
Top Prospect

lol thanks man
Old August 21, 2009, 08:53 PM
Top Prospect

i had a second question in accordance to the first one:

when i hook up my speaker & microphone outlet plugs of my computer case, will they pick up the sound from the sound card or from the mobo?
Old August 21, 2009, 09:00 PM

My System Specs

you will plug the front panel HD audio connector to the jack on the soundcard. Not the motherboard.
Old August 21, 2009, 10:21 PM
Top Prospect

This seems like a good thread for me to throw my question into.

I'm not running a 5.1 or 7.1 setup - I'm just running in stereo. Most of my listening is just done through the speaker bar I've got attached to my monitor - it looks like it's a pair of nifty little 3 way speakers, but I think they'd fit under the category of "crappy computer speakers", even if they're the "semi-elite" of the crap.

However, when I feel like cranking things up a little more, I've got an old Onkyo amp that runs 80W per channel RMS... I can't remember the model, and I'm too lazy to get up and look, but to put it in perspective - I got lucky to inherit it, but it retailed for about $3800 in the early to mid 80's - it's a good model from a good company.

I'm usually pretty content with what my integrated sound puts out - it's running off a P5E3 Deluxe wifi if that mkes a difference (even if it does, I assume a good soundcard will handily out-do it).

However - if I DID want to invest in a card that's better matched to that amp - what would be some good cards to look at?
Old August 22, 2009, 05:29 AM
Top Prospect

thanks for the help guys, i'm definitely going to be looking into some of the cards you all mentioned.
Old August 22, 2009, 08:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I say try without using a sound card first. The Core i7 motherboards all seem to have a very good integrated sound chip. If you don't like the quality of sound that you're getting, then as the others said, get a sound card.

Oh, the drivers for integrated sound are very important. I'm using modded drivers and the difference between the modded ones and the stock ones are huge!
Old August 22, 2009, 09:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

HT Omega Striker 7.1. If you have a crappy/budge computer like mine, there will be a huge difference. First of all, it gave me a few extra fps and the quality of the sound improved, even on logitech x240. the highs sounded more crisp and the bass has more ummph. Plus it let me use the front audio.

This headphone seems to be quite good for its price: NCIX.com - Buy Zalman ZM-DS4F Black Dual Stereo Headphones 4 Speaker 28MM Tweeter 40MM Woofer - ZM-DS4F-BLACK In Canada.

-Plato