Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2009, 12:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default can lapping your cpu raise temps up?

I am curious about this because a while back I lapped my CPU using a mirror and taping 220 and sanding until I could just see a copper colour then changing up to 320 until t he cpu looked shiny and of course both times I used a felt marker and put an x to make sure that it was sanding flush in which the ink seemed to come off equal throughout.

Last edited by Shadowmeph; August 3, 2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: fumble finger touching 2 keys at once
Old August 3, 2009, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

It shouldn't raise your temps, although it might do nothing. The only situation that comes to mind is where you have a heatsink/waterblock that uses a fixed-travel mechanism for tightening the unit down. Lapping the heatsink will lower the IHS, and slightly reduce the spring compression, and thus, the downwards pressure on the IHS, which might affect results. I know there was an small issue with Swiftech's GTZ recently, where the block's springs were apparently optimized for a stock IHS, and where lapping the CPU could apparently make things worse. Haven't seen any definite proof of that, though.
Old August 3, 2009, 01:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

Its possible that it wasn't lapped perfectly flat and is tilted slightly to one side. That could raise your temperature a bit. You also have to tighten the CPU block a little more than normal because the CPU is a tiny bit shorter so you'll want to be sure its tightened down all the way. I'd suggest remounting your waterblock because remounting the block can change the temperature a few degrees by itself.
Old August 3, 2009, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes doing it wrong/angled or making it to smooth and too much tim
Old August 4, 2009, 02:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You didn't use a high enough grit, you should use ~800 or preferably 2000. I'm using 1500 and 2000 for mine.
Old August 5, 2009, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
You didn't use a high enough grit, you should use ~800 or preferably 2000. I'm using 1500 and 2000 for mine.
I wouldn't use 800 it would put huge scratches like miniture gouges wouldn't it, besides I used the felt pen x method which seemed to show me that I was sanding flat because of the ware marks.
I think that I will try and remount the water block again