Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2009, 09:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default how many fans can I run off of motherboard cpu fan plugin

Just before I fell asleep last night a thought occurred to me, I was thinking that I shouldn't be running four fans off of the cpu fan plugin. the reason why I have that many is because I have my stinger cpu water block on and my rad is mounted directly to the back of my case with the two exhaust fans pushing air out of my case through the rad and I have two fans on the other side of the rad pulling the air now .
I didn't want to have the fans running at different speeds so I wired them all onto the mother board cpu fan plug in , should I have just plugged them into the power supply directly?
Old August 4, 2009, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think so, from what I've heard even 1 fan is a "stretch". I would try each method and see if it pushes any more air direct from the PSU.
Old August 4, 2009, 03:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As long as they're the same model you can splice them together, however only use one RPM wire to the motherboard connector. You don't want to put mixed signals in there. Just splice the + and - leads to each fan and you should be fine. As long as the fans aren't high powered (aka Deltas and San Aces), there shouldn't be a problem.
Old August 5, 2009, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
As long as they're the same model you can splice them together, however only use one RPM wire to the motherboard connector. You don't want to put mixed signals in there. Just splice the + and - leads to each fan and you should be fine. As long as the fans aren't high powered (aka Deltas and San Aces), there shouldn't be a problem.
All of my fans are yates and they plug into each other . well this is good new to me then I was alittle worried about using to much juice hehe