Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
It will be posted very soon
Tonight or tomorrow to be more precise.
Old July 28, 2009, 11:45 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom_jo View Post
I am concerned with the durability of the motherboard. How would you say the durability of this board compared to brand names such as gigabyte or asus? What the hell should we general end user watch out for in terms of specification that will give us an idea of the a board's durability(i.e overclocking)? is it the phase pwm thingie? or is it more of a luck of the draw?
There is alot to answer in those questions but I'll give it a go.

As for durability, it usually is hit or miss when it comes to many current-generation motherboards. However, as time goes on you can see certain trends emerge such as issues with many of the 680i chipset-based boards. To use the 680i boards as an example, they certainly looked like ass-kickers with great PWM designs and high-quality components. However, they are now dying at an alarming rate it seems.

Baring the odd board here and there that goes tits up, there are a few pointers to follow when buying a mobo. The most important of these is to price your motherboard purchase in relation to your CPU. Basically, don't buy a $75 board for a $500 processor. While this may not be an accurate rule of thumb for quality, the higher-end boards usually incorporate the features necessary to get the most out of high end processors.

Another thing to watch out for is claimed backwards compatibility. A perfectly good example of this is what happened when the first AM2+ Phenom processors were released. All the large mobo manufacturers made announcements that many of their older AM2 boards would support these new processors. Unfortunately, the results were mixed at best. Sometimes boards didn't work with the new processors while other boards promptly blew sky-high due to their shoddy 3-phase power design being totally overwhelmed by 125W and 140W Phenom processors.

That leads me to my next point: avoid mobos based off of 3-phase power designs. They will work with lower-end processors but could spell trouble if you ever upgrade.

Also stay away from off-brand boards. Jetway, PCChips, etc.

Watch out for companies that don't have a North American presence. Do your reasearch and check out their website's RMA information. If they don't have a facility in NA, give it a pass.

Check out reviews and mark the capacitors. If you see solid caps you don't usually have much to worry about (as far as we know for the time being). Keep your eyes peeled at standard electrolytic capacitors on the other hand since certain off-brand models have been known to fail.

I think that pretty much covers it.
Old July 28, 2009, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

MSI has been around way longer than even XFX.
Old July 28, 2009, 03:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

I checked and this bad boy and my P2 955 are arriving tomorrow....CAN'T WAIT!
Old July 28, 2009, 04:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice review LL.

I'll be picking one up here soon I be thinking.

One question though what speed did the NB top out @? I see on the charts that you're up to 2600 on the NB, did you push it higher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 29, 2009, 12:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

I noticed in the first few photos that the CPU 8-pin connector has 4 of the pins covered, does the board require EPS 12v or regular 4-pin will do?

Old July 29, 2009, 12:30 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_zappa View Post
...does the board require EPS 12v or regular 4-pin will do?
4-pin works fine.