Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   features vs price? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/21216-features-vs-price.html)

phantom_jo July 25, 2009 08:38 PM

features vs price?

Hello everyone, right now I am in the market for a new motherboard. I currently have 720BE and I am planning to get an AM3 motherboard. On top of my head I have 3 particular motherboards which seems to have garnished plenty of praises from a lot of review sites, namely: Gigabyte's 790FXT, ASUS Formula III, MSI GD-70. According to the prices from DirectCanada, price difference between the motherboards is at the most $30++. As such, choosing either the cheapest or the most expensive one of the bunch will still stay within my budget.
Points of interests from each mobo (my perspective):
1)Gigabyte: Decently priced(AR), Stable, 2 Oz of copper, Dual BIOS, fast recovery from failed overclocking(in my own experience).
2)Asus: A lot of goodies, great overclocker, great software and BIOS features, somewhat useful/plentiful(?) voltage phase.
3)MSI: Crazy overclocker, Easy auto OC with BIOS, double spaced PCI-E slot, 4 PCI-E slots.

If I choose GB I know I'll get decent overclocker which will last me years and will give me partial funds to buying a DDR3 ram set.
If I choose ASUS I will get a slightly better overclocker but a lot of extras that might make my life easier when I need to troubleshoot my hardwares and some other things. But I will be spending the most amount of money.
If I choose MSI I know I'll get great overclocker should I choose to push the limits few months/years from now when the games will probably be more demanding.

Things to consider:
1) Temperature: I will be living in a tropical country.
2) Electricity: The cost of electricity per KWh is not that cheap. Also, surges do happen from time to time and we have a 230v instead of 115v.

P.S: I might also need your insights on determining the bast bang for the buck RAM for the mobo. It does not have to be blazing fast, but it would certainly help if it has tight timings. Thank You for your help guys. Cheers.

Airshehan July 25, 2009 08:57 PM

I would personally go for the MSI as it would be the best bang for the buck. If cost is not a concern at all, then go for the Asus motherboard! Honestly, it depends on your needs. Choose the one that best suits your needs by factoring in what you want to do on the mobo, when your next upgrade will be etc.

MpG July 25, 2009 09:10 PM

If you have issues with power surges, you should be looking at a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Source), if only to protect all the hardware you're going to be buying.

rapmaster July 25, 2009 09:25 PM

the Crosshair III come with a sound card, if it mean something to you. Personally, I'll go with the MSI, it look sexy, 4 PCI-E slot and the best overclocker of the 3, but it's MSI, some people have problem with them, they don't have the best support.

geokilla July 25, 2009 09:37 PM

I'd go with the Gigabyte. People's had great experiences with their motherboards, and same with me. My 2nd choice would be the ASUS. However, do you need to spend so much money on a motherboard? I've personally been trouble free with my motherboards, except for the damned ASUS M2N-E. Plus most of the time when you encounter a problem caused by overclocking, clearing the CMOS does the trick if all else fails. I am an amateur overclocker though and don't like to spend lots of time tinkering with stuff, so you'll have a different opinion than me on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapmaster (Post 230688)
the Crosshair III come with a sound card, if it mean something to you. Personally, I'll go with the MSI, it look sexy, 4 PCI-E slot and the best overclocker of the 3, but it's MSI, some people have problem with them, they don't have the best support.

Just a question...Does how a motherboard look matter? It's stuffed inside a case, which you will probably rarely look to see what's inside. Sure its design will have an effect on airflow and temperatures. That's just my opinion.

rapmaster July 25, 2009 09:48 PM

For me yes, since my tempest have a window plus it setting next to me on my desk. I hate the Gigabyte rainbow color scheme. It won't affect my choice in the end, but it's a plus if it's sexy. It the same thing with cable management, sure, it does improve air flow but it to look clean too.