Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 22, 2009, 02:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default e6400 and folding

Now i finally have VMware and folding running on my old rig. In the basement where the temperature is a could to several degrees cooler then the rest of the house the peak temp i see my e6400 hit is 70C at stock (when folding of course) and wondering if i should be "overly" worried about it like i was a bit more with my g/f's e4400. The only thing about the e6400 i can't really put new thermal compound as i think one of the legs that holds the heat sink to the cpu is on its last install and wont go in the next time i take it off.
Old July 22, 2009, 04:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well looks like i'll need to get a new heat sink, the old one (the stock) one of the fins just broke off so it wont be able to keep a very tight connection. What would be a good cheap replacement, it wont be OCed since its going to be for my parents (i do plan to have it fold in the background though). As i want to keep this one a little local unless ncix has a lot better deal, the local place i used to use before introduced to shopbot and ncix is Bestbyte Computers -. Thanks for the help guys!
Old July 22, 2009, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

are you running that e6400 @ stock? if it is the temp is too high. those E6xxx series can only handle 85C

why not get that vendetta at ncix for $30 bucks?
Old July 22, 2009, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX has the OCZ Vendetta 2 on sale right now for $30 with no rebates. Canada Computers has it for $29 AR.
Old July 22, 2009, 04:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I was running it at stock till i tried replacing the thermal paste with newer to lower the temp, since the amount of times the heat sink has been removed and placed on the chip one of the fins on one of the plugs to pins that holds it in and well it wont go in now. Trying to keep costs down because i dont know how much my dad wants to pay so he and my mom can have/use their own separate computers

Edit: If i were to get a heat sink unfortunately it wont be as of today

I was also thinking about switching CPUs on the mobo/rig i give my parents. My girlfriend has the e4400, was thinking maybe switching the processors to give her the more powerful thing, maybe buy a heat sink to OC it a little and give my parents the e4400 with the stock heat sink thats on it

Last edited by Arinoth; July 22, 2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old July 22, 2009, 04:55 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

If the E6400 stays as a folder, then I have a brand new Scythe Reeven for you - free of charge, you only pay the shipping costs.
Old July 22, 2009, 04:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i always have a problem with my push pin stock coolers

like you said one of them is always stuck and won't go in no matter how much forces been pushed

as of now i only use after markets cooler if they can be used with a thermal right bolt thru

on the other side AMD comes with back plate and an awesome + EASY SNEASY to install cooler

If you do get after market cooler you can overclock like crazy and cooler and quieter operation
Old July 22, 2009, 05:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
If the E6400 stays as a folder, then I have a brand new Scythe Reeven for you - free of charge, you only pay the shipping costs.
Thanks 3.0 Charlie, i haven't thoroughly talked with my girlfriend about folding on her machine (which i realize should have the e6400 and give my parents the e4400) so i'll get back to you if she agrees to fold (which she probably will because she's the type to leave her computer on all day even when she isn't using it).
Old July 22, 2009, 05:05 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Let me know then.
Old July 23, 2009, 01:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well tentatively she agrees to fold the e6400 if i show her what she needs to know. I have next friday off coming up so i'm going to see if i can get her to bring her computer over to my house (parent's) do the hardware swap, some little OC, then prime 95 to check for stability