Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 21, 2009, 02:27 PM
Rookie

Default Motherboard with onboard GPU

One of my friend ask me to built a computer for him. I usually built gaming computer for myself but he does not want that. He just want a computer for internet, music, burning DVD and watch movies. I was looking toward motheboard with onboard video but since I never used them I want to know if they are any good. He wants to keep his computer for couples of years. I was thinkg that with onboard GPU, he was alright for the next year or so and he could buy a good video card later on. With an AMD+ board, I could buy him a cheap CPU that he could upgradre in the future.

I was thinking of this board:
NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte GA-MA780G-UD3H AMD780G ATX AM2+/AM3 2PCI-E Video Sound GLAN CrossFireX HDMI Motherboard - GA-MA780G-UD3H In Canada.

If you have any suggestion for another board, I'm ready to hear about it.

Thanks
Old July 21, 2009, 02:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

You've got the right idea for sure, although you could save your friend a few bucks by going with the GA-MA78GM. It's basically the same board, but mATX and with only one PCI-E slot, which won't matter to you anyway if you're using on board video. But if he wants to buy a single video card down the road, he still can.
Old July 22, 2009, 03:13 PM
Rookie

thanks, do you think the onboard GPU will be good enought for windows 7?
Old July 22, 2009, 03:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

As long as you're not running Aero Theme, i think you should be fine
Old July 22, 2009, 03:24 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Windows shouldn't offer anything that would stress a video card, but for high def content he might download a video card may need to be added. The 780g claims it can handle this though so perhaps not.
Old July 22, 2009, 03:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinmod01 View Post
thanks, do you think the onboard GPU will be good enought for windows 7?
Should have no issues running Aero or playing back HD-content IMO. Make sure you get 4GB of RAM though.

If you can afford it though, get a 780G that has Sideport memory as well. That way the onboard graphics won't steal from the RAM. Something like this: NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-UD2H AMD780G mATX AM2+/AM3 Sideport PCI-E SATA Sound GLAN HDMI Motherboard - GA-MA78GPM-UD2H In Canada.
Old July 22, 2009, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Should have no issues running Aero or playing back HD-content IMO. Make sure you get 4GB of RAM though.
Agreed. I've seen this board with 4GB RAM and on board video running Vista 64 with Aero and playing video. Now, granted, I've not seen it attempt to play HD video, but it's designed with an HDMI out specifically for that purpose, so I'd have to say it'd be fine.
Old July 22, 2009, 03:52 PM
Rookie

a 780G Motherbaord should be enough for win 7

imo
Old July 27, 2009, 04:49 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
As long as you're not running Aero Theme, i think you should be fine
Thats insane. This board comes with an HD3200, it can play pretty much any valve game.
Aero theme would be of no problem whatsoever, at all!