Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 25, 2007, 12:35 AM
Rookie
F@H

Default Switching Motherboards/Hard Drives

Hello! I currently have installed an Asus P5N SLI nForce 570 with two hard drives (one XP one Vista), and would like to install an Asus P5N32 SLI Premium WiFi motherboard. Can I just install the new mobo, plug in the hard drives, and I'm away? Thanks in advance! Bill
Old July 25, 2007, 12:50 AM
Rookie
F@H

Default Re:

I forgot to mention that I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz CPU. Thanks again!
Old July 25, 2007, 01:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

nope you'll have to do a reinstall... different chipsets.
Old July 25, 2007, 02:01 AM
Rookie
F@H

Okay, thanks very much! Not the answer I was looking for, but the truth is not always pretty. This is my flight sim computer, so a reinstall is not all that horrific. I have two 400 GB HDD's. Would a RAID 0 configuration enhance performance? I'll be sticking with the Vista, for FSX. I have two 8800 GTS cards, and 4GB OCZ memory. Thanks again!
Old July 25, 2007, 04:29 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

I have never tried it with similar nvidia chipset mobo's.

With intel chipsets you can sometimes, but not always get away without installing.
Assuming WXP will boot, it will try to rediscover/reinstall devices. If it does, run the nvidia chipset installer for the new mobo after wxp is up.

For the amount of time it takes to try it I would check to see if it works before reinstalling. Nothing to lose since a re-install can always be done if you are not happy with it.

Certainly it is cleaner to do a quick format on a re-install tho.

On my folding only rigs, the cleanliness of the install is not too important since i have virtually no other software apps on the rigs other than some overclocking apps. And folding only has 1 registry entry.

But if you have installed a lot of software that you no longer use/need, then a fresh install isn't a bad idea.

Last edited by pscout; July 25, 2007 at 04:31 AM.
Old July 25, 2007, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpurcell View Post
Okay, thanks very much! Not the answer I was looking for, but the truth is not always pretty. This is my flight sim computer, so a reinstall is not all that horrific. I have two 400 GB HDD's. Would a RAID 0 configuration enhance performance? I'll be sticking with the Vista, for FSX. I have two 8800 GTS cards, and 4GB OCZ memory. Thanks again!
Don't bother with RAID cause the day it fails you'll be kicking yourself.
Old July 25, 2007, 08:32 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Don't bother with RAID cause the day it fails you'll be kicking yourself.
I also avoid raid 0. Raid 1 can improve read performance a bit, and the redundancy is very nice but it comes at the price of a 50% loss in capacity.
Old July 25, 2007, 08:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscout View Post
I also avoid raid 0. Raid 1 can improve read performance a bit, and the redundancy is very nice but it comes at the price of a 50% loss in capacity.
And hardware raid > software raid.

You never get full benefits from using software.
Old July 25, 2007, 02:07 PM
Rookie
F@H

Okay! Nix the RAID. I'll try without reinstalling first. It's such a pain to phone MS to reactivate Vista and FSX, but such is life! So, pscout, you're a folder also. I've got 41 wu's to date and counting. I'll have to install it on this new rig of mine. I have an XPS M1210 and a small Shuttle folding at the moment. I thank you all for the advice and look forward to chatting again! Sincerely, Bill
Old July 25, 2007, 03:28 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

good luck ... / crosses fingers / ... I have been keeping my fingers out of vista so it will be interesting to see if it works for you.

Who are you folding with? You should come and join us on the HCF team (#54196) http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hardw...ucks-f-h-team/

Pete