Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 28, 2009, 05:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Multiple processors question

Sorry if this is extremely obvious but I'm a noob LOL. If I have a dual core processor at 2.2 Ghz does that mean each processor is 2.2 Ghz making it overall 4.4Ghz? And also in gaming is a dual core a lot better than a single?
Old June 28, 2009, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No, you don't add the speeds. Yo have a 2.2GHz CPU capable of running 2 threads at once.

single < dual < quad < whateverelseexistsaboveaquad
Old June 28, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Actually - to answer your question, YES, a dual core is just that, two processors - each core is running at 2.2Ghz - however, it does not necessarily mean you will get the equivalent of 4.4Ghz at all times - however an application that is optimized to use multi cores, like a rendering app that uses 2 cores at 100%, yeah I guess you can say you get nearly double the speed as a single 2.2Ghz - I've experienced it with a video rendering program myself, otherwise your tasks are balanced across the 2 cores. (example 50% usage on one core and 50% usage on the next).
Old June 28, 2009, 08:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
Actually - to answer your question, YES, a dual core is just that, two processors - each core is running at 2.2Ghz - however, it does not necessarily mean you will get the equivalent of 4.4Ghz at all times - however an application that is optimized to use multi cores, like a rendering app that uses 2 cores at 100%, yeah I guess you can say you get nearly double the speed as a single 2.2Ghz - I've experienced it with a video rendering program myself, otherwise your tasks are balanced across the 2 cores. (example 50% usage on one core and 50% usage on the next).

Exactly what DarkStar said, you benefit only if the application is designed to run on multiple cores. Say you had a quad core and an application was only optimized for 2, both CPUs (dual and quad)are using the same amount of cores to run the application. Meaning you could run identical systems with the only difference in the CPU (dual/quad) and unless the application is designed to benefit with the quad, it'll basically run as fast as the dual core
Old June 28, 2009, 08:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Oh ok I see thanks for the help.
Old June 29, 2009, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Actually even if your apps/games do not fully use all cores or optimized for multicore, you can STILL get advantages over a single core - Since the tasks are balanced across cores, that leaves you some power for running simultanuous applications - Example you could be burning a DVD, watching a video and rendering something in the background, these will be balanced across cores and you will benefit over a single cores. If you are only running one app at a time, usually it will be balanced at 50% use one core 50% the other, result, no benefit over a single core.