Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2009, 09:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Question Intel Core i7 Conundrum

So i have my new i7 system built, only problem i ran into was locating the mount screens for the motherboard to the case (took me about 45 mins to find them, don't ask, lol) and i am getting some different readings on my processor speed at stock settings

Why/how is my processor going over its stock speed without any form of overclocking? The Windows 7 system evaluation it clocked the processor in at 2.79GHz, how is this possible? (picture below is of cpuz when i started Dawn of War 2 and of the Windows system evaluation)

Last edited by Arinoth; June 11, 2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old June 12, 2009, 12:35 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

It's the turbo mode feature. Kicks up the multi when the cpu isn't being pushed. I'm sure someone here can explain the feature. It's normal and you can turn it off in the bios if you want. So all is well. Also why is your voltage so high for stock clocks? Is it on auto or did you set it?

Old June 12, 2009, 01:09 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Yep, FtGF is right. It's Turbo Mode. When the processor is at full load, it pushes the multiplier up by 1 (from 20x to 21x).

The voltage is normal when it's set on auto. You can decrease the voltage manually. I run fine with 1.2v at 3.2 Ghz and I believe someone else here is running 3.8 Ghz with 1.2v.

Old June 12, 2009, 03:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtGF View Post
It's the turbo mode feature. Kicks up the multi when the cpu isn't being pushed. I'm sure someone here can explain the feature. It's normal and you can turn it off in the bios if you want. So all is well. Also why is your voltage so high for stock clocks? Is it on auto or did you set it?
That is on stock, haven't touched or decided to even look into overclocking the cpu or the gpu yet, my motherboard is the EX58-UD4P
Old June 12, 2009, 03:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yup me check my sig runs great at that speed without too much heat ( that's turbo on stock it just adds a plus 1 to your muilty ) and if you got a d0 stepping then i would be looking for around 3.8 to 4.0 ghz on my overclock but that's just me so.
Old June 12, 2009, 11:15 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
That is on stock, haven't touched or decided to even look into overclocking the cpu or the gpu yet, my motherboard is the EX58-UD4P
Just wondering since at that voltage my D0 runs at 3.8Ghz!

Old June 12, 2009, 11:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
yup me check my sig runs great at that speed without too much heat ( that's turbo on stock it just adds a plus 1 to your muilty ) and if you got a d0 stepping then i would be looking for around 3.8 to 4.0 ghz on my overclock but that's just me so.
Yeah i was thinking about how high i could get it on the stock heat sink and then what would be the best after market air heat sink i could go for to bump it up some more
Old June 12, 2009, 11:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

At first glance I totally thought this was going to be an intel speedstep question lol
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old June 12, 2009, 12:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
At first glance I totally thought this was going to be an intel speedstep question lol
I deked to the left, avoiding that question after reading the sticky and shot this thread at the (inter)net.
Old June 12, 2009, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

i7 Turbo - it's the NEW Speedstep!

Actually, I'm a little guilty too. When I first got my new D0 running, I was doing some temperature testing, and couldn't figure out why my stock temps were a little high... then I finally noticed that my speed was at around 2.8GHz.