Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2007, 12:51 AM
MVP
F@H

Question New Build, any objections?

I know you're all probably tired of being bombarded with new build threads. So I apologize in advance. I've been researching this build for a while now on this forum and over at www.evga.com (great forums as well) and I'm fairly confident that this will be a solid system. So I just want to know if anybody here is strongly against any of the parts I'm about to mention, and if so, why. Thanks!

Right now I'm currently using the Antec P180 Case so I'll be putting the new rig into that. I also won't be upgrading my HDD or video card until a little while down the road. I'm running an ATI Radeon x1900gt right now so I'm happy with that. Near future upgrades will include some combination of Direct X 10 cards, but it's too early to judge on that. I just want to make a solid preliminary build here that will keep me future proof (for as long as possible). So here are the components I have chosen:

Motherboard:
EVGA Nforce 680I SLI LGA775 Conroe ATX DDR2 2PCI-E16 2PCI SATA2 RAID Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard

Memory:
Ocz Platinum Xtc REV.2 PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-15 240PIN Dimm Dual Channel Memory Kit

PSU:
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad 750W ATX V2.2 EPS12V 24PIN SLI Active PFC Power Supply Black

HSF:
Sunbeam Tuniq Tower 120 AM2 LGA775 S754 S939 S940 Heatpipe Cooler 120MM Blue LED Fan CPU Heatsink

CPU:
Now this is a whole new ball game. It's the only part I can't decide on. I was set on the C2D E6600 for the longest time. It seems to have great overclockability(is that even a word?) and relatively low temperatures. But since everyone is talking about the price cuts around the 22nd, I've got quite a headache in deciding on this. I won't be buying the parts until around then anyway, so I will make the choice then. I did read that a quad core will generate too much heat while overclocked for an air setup, so I'm thinking I'm still going to go with an E6600 or E6700.

Sound:
Onbard for now...

So there you have it. I have read a lot of recommendations on these forums for the ASUS P5K over the evga 680i. However I've been on the EVGA boards so much and I learned so much about that board I feel like I can't get anything else now because I am comfortable with it. Not to mention the fantastic evga customer support. Also if I'm not wrong the P35 chipset only supports crossfire right now and not SLI?

So please give me your criticism on this build!

Last edited by Mibs; July 11, 2007 at 12:59 AM.
Old July 11, 2007, 01:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Outside of personal preferences I see nothing wrong with any of your choices. (I especially like the choice of PSU!!! :) ).

The only question I would ask is if folks over at the the EVGA forums with the 680i have had good luck with those particular mem sticks, or if they have any personal preferences for that particular board.

Having spent a lot of time with a DFI Ultra-D I know that getting the right match of Memory for a particular motherboard can often greatly enhance your overclocking abilities.

And yes... in answer to your question about the P35 chipset, it is a crossfire board.

That said... you'll find a lot of folks around here who think that crossfire/sli is highly overrated....... :)

Welcome to HardwareCanucks!!!!!

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 11, 2007, 07:36 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Im currently using 4Gigs of that very same ram and loving it - it runs cool and very stable with oc's. The PSU is also very nice Thumbs up! However, id suggest one of the thermalright ultra 120's or ultra 120 extremes. They perform much better than the tuniqs, can use any fan you want (tuniqs is built inside the hsf) and costs about the same or sometimes a lil bit more. Thats my two cents.
Old July 11, 2007, 07:37 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Looks fine to me, welcome to HCF. :)