Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 8, 2009, 07:25 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Default Permanent processor affinity?

Hello once again all, in toying around with many cores I've run into the issue where I get all my cores being used nice n equally for many different applications... but everytime the monster restarts its all gone and I've got to do it again. Does anyone know of an tool or utility that can set permanent processor affinity thats perserved across reboots? Thanks...
Old June 8, 2009, 07:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know of any off hand, but if you're googling for a source of info on it, have a look for FAH related threads. Setting affinity for FAH was quite the rage a year ago.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 8, 2009, 07:41 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I don't know of any off hand, but if you're googling for a source of info on it, have a look for FAH related threads. Setting affinity for FAH was quite the rage a year ago.
True, but you have to remember two things about F@H users. 1) They don't reboot their machines often So just setting the affinity from within Windows would be fine. 2) Most users with enough cores/threads to care about affinity and that Fold are probably using VMs to separate their folding and get more PPD, so they probably also wouldnt be using a third-party affinity utility.
Old June 8, 2009, 07:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

True, but I do remember some discussions about exactly this topic in FAH related forums.

It's true that once everything is up and running properly a folding machine doesn't get rebooted often, but it's a major PITA setting affinity every time you reboot when OCing and testing for stability..... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 8, 2009, 08:23 AM
Allstar

Oh boy have I got the program for you. Not only does it let you set the Processor Affinity but it also lets you set program priority. The last option there is a big one for VM Folding as VMWare Player Windows don't get come with the handy SMP Console setting of 'Idle'. Without this program all of my PPD was getting choked out for my GPUs. Anyways enough of my FaH techno babble.

PriFinitty 2 by Ed Wilk

You can set it to boot on startup, the 'Favorites' window is the memorized settings window. Any program you add to that window will have its current settings remembered and this will ALWAYS be applied as long as you have it boot and apply settings at startup. Also, it will provide a graph in the taskbar to show you your current core usage (per core if I'm not mistaken). I'm making it sound more complex than it really is, you can learn most everything by just nosing about the program. Hope this meets your needs.
Old June 8, 2009, 08:27 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Features:
Supports up to eight (real) CPU cores.

-cry-
Old June 8, 2009, 08:28 AM
Allstar

Dang, I suppose this is for Behemoth then (just looked at your specs)? 16 cores is insane by the way, in case someone hasn't mentioned. I can't think of anything else that would have more though. Of all the ones I tried 4 was the usual, this one had the most at 8.
Old June 8, 2009, 08:29 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

There must be something, I cant imagine those 256-core super computer having no core/affinity/priority management at all... that would just be inefficient.
Old June 8, 2009, 08:32 AM
Allstar

At that level its probably coded straight into the program, and each program (block of cores) is designated a work unit to calculate. Probably much like the Stanford servers is to the people of F@H. Pure speculation though. I'll keep my eyes open.

Edit: Solved Setting processor affinity made easy - Vista Forums

This might hold some answers. Its not the easiest but it will allow you to set up any programs you open. You might be able to alter how things are run at startup, but I don't know how much editing (of this type) you can do to startup settings.

Last edited by El_Fiendo; June 8, 2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old June 8, 2009, 08:55 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Found this:
BindCPU command line utility
Seems like with the use of a whole bunch of shortcuts using the above program, you could get control of the affinity by launching programs through it. I'll test it out tonight if i get the chance and see...