Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 7, 2009, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Motherboard for Folding Rig?

So I schtuck an ad up on Craigslist *Schmack* (and on this forum) for a mobo for my folding rig. I've got multiple offers. Like 4. I need a bit of help choosing one vs. price point, functionality, stuff like that. Pretty please?

The rig is going to have:

Q6600 (OCing to 3.2)
4GB Mushkin Ascent DDR2-800
SOME mobo
8800GT (maybe 2)
LG DVD-RW DL SATA drive
Logisys Case + PSU (<-- PSU only temporary, I wanna get this show on the road)

Anyway, so the offers for mobos I've got are:

Abit IP35-E - $70 (lowest).

Pros: Looks nice, has good features.

Cons: Only 1 PCI-E x16 slot, 8-pin CPU power, Non-SLI. Abit quality? Extra 4-pin DC plug?

Image Here

Asus P5K - $65 (lowest):

Pros: In Excellent condition. Has 2 PCI-E x16 slots. Asus quality. 4-pin CPU power.

Cons: Fugly. Black PCI-E slot is only x4/x1. Seller lives in Twassen/South Delta, along highway to ferry terminal. As a 16 year-old sans wheels, bussing will be a b*tch (if any), and getting a ride from parents is no-go. I want to build this as stealth as possible, my parents don't like me spending money for my own pursuits.

Image Here

Intel DG35EC - $70 (potentially lower):

Pros: Intel quality/stability. 4-pin CPU power. BNIB. I like.

Cons: Only 1 PCI-E x16. Limited OCing w/Intel. Ghetto green PCB =D

Image Here

ASRock PENRYN 1600 SLI-110DB - $80 + shipping:

Pros: Supports SLI. 2 PCI-E x16. OCing? Offer from member of this forum (boggtrotter59) TY!

Cons: Price + shipping. 8-pin CPU power. Extra 4-pin DC Plug? Retarded power plug layout.

Image Here

So yeah. There you have it. I realize that they're all *pretty much* the same. Be aware that I'm gonna be selling this thing pretty soon after I build it (~1 month), and resale value is a small point of concern. Any advice I greatly appreciate. Normally I would be good at stuff like this but b/c I'm so caught up in newer mid/high-end tech all his older low end stuff is killing me! Thanks again in advance!
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old June 7, 2009, 01:08 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I would pass on all, except maybe the P5K. Are you sure that from all the FS threads here you can't find one, at least P35 with dual PCI-e slots (SLI or Xfire)?
Old June 7, 2009, 01:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yep, I've looked hard, they're all P45 or higher for $100 or higher. P5K I was considering the most. I had an offer for DG35EC with some extra features from ST for $65 but he decided to keep it, which is all good. =D

I don't like the selection I have either but I'm trying to work with what I got. Is there a particular P35 board would you recommend from your professional standpoint 3.0charlie?
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old June 7, 2009, 02:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you live near me I'd give you a ride out to get the P5K.... I'm at Scott and 64th.
Old June 7, 2009, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

as the penguin mod said, p5k is the only decent choice. For folding rig i would personally go for a P45 with 3 pcie slots.
Old June 7, 2009, 04:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaPC View Post
Yep, I've looked hard, they're all P45 or higher for $100 or higher. P5K I was considering the most. I had an offer for DG35EC with some extra features from ST for $65 but he decided to keep it, which is all good. =D

I don't like the selection I have either but I'm trying to work with what I got. Is there a particular P35 board would you recommend from your professional standpoint 3.0charlie?

Only because I was out of two potentially awsome boards , and budget shrank when I had to get my Nuclear Rea...errr...1Kw PSU. lol.
DG35 is rock stable.
Its only failing is the 1x PCI-e.

Hope you can get at least one,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 7, 2009, 11:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

@Perenium:

I'd take you up on that offer but I'm at E. 22nd & Boundary! XD

@5ILVgeARX:

Yeah well, this is budget, and it's temporary. I'll get it set up and maybe fold a bit, but later I'll sell it and get 2x GTX 265's.

@Soultribunal:

Hey, I'm not angry about it or anything. S**t happens. What ya gonna do? I've been f****d out of some deals too. People can be nice but sometimes they can be d**ks.

I've been looking up reviews on that DG35 whatever, it seems to be a pretty good OCer (i.e. I can get to 3.2 with it). Judging by ST's word and reviews, I'm guessing Intel holds up their rock-stable board rep. Plus it's brand-new, and I don't gotta get out an hour away from where I live to buy it.

It's between the P5K and the DG35EC. P5K is somewhat better but the trip I cannot make. DG35EC has only 1 PCI-E x16 but is brand-new amd more stable. Which is it gonna be? Vote!
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old June 8, 2009, 12:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you can skytrain it to the Scott Road station that would be acceptable pick up location.... but yeah, otherwise you live an ugly distance away
Old June 8, 2009, 06:35 AM
Rookie

how much have you got to spend?
Old June 8, 2009, 09:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaPC View Post
@Perenium:

I'd take you up on that offer but I'm at E. 22nd & Boundary! XD

@5ILVgeARX:

Yeah well, this is budget, and it's temporary. I'll get it set up and maybe fold a bit, but later I'll sell it and get 2x GTX 265's.

@Soultribunal:

Hey, I'm not angry about it or anything. S**t happens. What ya gonna do? I've been f****d out of some deals too. People can be nice but sometimes they can be d**ks.

I've been looking up reviews on that DG35 whatever, it seems to be a pretty good OCer (i.e. I can get to 3.2 with it). Judging by ST's word and reviews, I'm guessing Intel holds up their rock-stable board rep. Plus it's brand-new, and I don't gotta get out an hour away from where I live to buy it.

It's between the P5K and the DG35EC. P5K is somewhat better but the trip I cannot make. DG35EC has only 1 PCI-E x16 but is brand-new amd more stable. Which is it gonna be? Vote!
Luckily it wasn't from anyone here lol! In time I suppose, in time.
I vote (obviously) to the DG35EC for its absolute reliability to me.
Everything just Works, 24/7, folding happily away.
Its served me well indeed.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com