Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Cooler for EVGA 680i SLI...and NCIX question (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/1851-cooler-evga-680i-sli-ncix-question.html)

dheian July 7, 2007 09:08 PM

Cooler for EVGA 680i SLI...and NCIX question

Working on ordering my first build since the mid-1980s...

Thinking of ordering the EVGA 680i SLI mobo to go along with an 8800GTX, an E6600 slapped in a TJ09 case with a BenQ 24" monitor.

a) Any strong reasons not to and if so, what recommendations for comparably priced mobos?

b) I thought I read in one of the reviews that some CPU coolers are a tight fit on the EVGA...any suggestions for a good one that does fit?

Also, probably ordering from NCIX. Is it true that they don't charge Ontario PST?

Thanks.:bananafunky:

Magice July 9, 2007 01:58 PM

From what I've heard that motherboard is in all respect the king for the price range, though I have heard a few problems w/ quad cores but that won't be a problem. Can't really go wrong with those parts, also, if you don't plan on overclocking it I'd go with an AMD, they have higher stock clock rates.

GL with your build!

Moneyless July 9, 2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magice (Post 13870)
[...] Can't really go wrong with those parts, also, if you don't plan on overclocking it I'd go with an AMD, they have higher stock clock rates.

GL with your build!

But similarly priced AMD's have much less L2.

I'd go with a E6450 myself because they have the same cache as the E6600's, and recent E6600 steppings haven't been OCing very well. (Taken straight from the mouth of a E6x00 expert from another forum. :) )

JayDee July 9, 2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dheian (Post 13743)
Working on ordering my first build since the mid-1980s...

Thinking of ordering the EVGA 680i SLI mobo to go along with an 8800GTX, an E6600 slapped in a TJ09 case with a BenQ 24" monitor.

a) Any strong reasons not to and if so, what recommendations for comparably priced mobos?

b) I thought I read in one of the reviews that some CPU coolers are a tight fit on the EVGA...any suggestions for a good one that does fit?

Also, probably ordering from NCIX. Is it true that they don't charge Ontario PST?

Thanks.:bananafunky:

No PST for Ontario :)

If you can wait 2 weeks there are price drops coming and new CPU's released. Will give you an option for Quad core or one of the new 1333 FSB chips in the same general price range as the E6600 is now.

dheian July 10, 2007 02:29 PM

Thanks for the info...one of my questions that got missed though: which coolers have been proven to fit well with the EVGA 680i. Some reviews have said it can be a tight fit.

Thanks again!

Mibs July 10, 2007 07:35 PM

If you have questions about the evga 680i board another great resource with some awesome people is the forum at EVGA Forums. There are a few threads there now about cooling the nb and sb and the cpu.

sswilson July 10, 2007 08:08 PM

That would be a great place to check.

I think most folks here who are running the EVGA 680i have the cpu sitting under some form of water cooling setup.

That's why you haven't recieved a response to your question.

If you don't get an answer here, but find it on another forum, you'd be doing the next guy a huge favour if you could come back and let us know what you found out....... :)

werty316 July 10, 2007 10:15 PM

I use a Thermaltakes Big Typhoon on an eVGA 680i-SLI motherboard without any issues.

Mibs July 11, 2007 11:40 PM

I recently decided on the Tuniq Tower 120 with the same mobo. Check out this review: AnandTech: Tuniq Tower 120: Air Cooling to the Max

They use the Tuniq on the evga 680i SLI with no issues!

Misoprostol July 11, 2007 11:45 PM

I honestly don't recommend nVidia chipsets anymore for Intel. If you want a hassle-free experience, just get an Intel-based board...