Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

big fan of msi so and that's JMO. cause asus are very solid boards
Old May 31, 2009, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

kombat 3 the first 1 with kabal and is one of my all time fav's ( maybe asus cause some times msi boards are hard for people who don't know a lot about computers.)
i would take the msi
Old May 31, 2009, 11:30 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
big fan of msi so and that's JMO. cause asus are very solid boards
JMO ?!!! what is this?!
and big fan ?!! which big fan ?!
is your mean, thas chipset cooler ? (DrMOS) ?

I always had a '7hit' with kabal in Mortal Kombat 3 ultimate!!! nice flash back ;)
Old May 31, 2009, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

(JMO) just my opinion and i am a big fan of there boards like i am a fan of the maple leafs got me ( nice board)
Old May 31, 2009, 11:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

and kabal has a 12 hit combo really hard to do though
Old June 1, 2009, 12:49 PM
Rookie

no more Answers ?!!!
Old June 2, 2009, 06:59 PM
Rookie

Lightbulb

Hi

Hope you haven't bought yet. Don't know what everyone else is going on about...

Anyways apparently if you need heavy duty overclocking support (mostly with the X4 955 then get the Asus board which I did but I'm in two minds about now unfortunately).

If you don't then get the MSI board. Obviously as you're getting the X3 920 then the MSI is the one for you to get. My internet research seems to show the MSI as what I like to call a 'Silent Assasin': comes out of nowhere and surprises the hell out of you (like me, buying an Asus board before realising the MSI is probably better!).

- I'm assuming you're on a budget so the AMD X3 720 is great for overclocking; with good air cooling (the Coolermaster V8 I would recommend if you have a big enough case or check frostytech.com's top 5 heatsinks.
- The MSI board will handle higher frequency ram than all the other AM3 mobos I've seen so you can overclock the hell out of your system. It supports a maximum of 2000MHz on overclock!
- Make sure you get a good graphics card setup (preferably ATI as they're designed for AMD chipsets and processors).
- Also AM3 boards only support and only need DDR3 Dual (not Tri) Channel memory of which the MSI seems to have the best support
- The MSI has more ports (USB, Sata, PCIe, PCI etc.)
- JMicron JMB322 raid controller on the MSI is apparently not so great so if you plan to raid any hard drives then the MSI is not so great, but it has enough extra PCIe and PCI ports for a card-based Sata/raid controller so that isn't an issue. Or you could of course just use the SB750 controller (as you can see, the MSI has huge features)
- On looks I think the Asus is better but I think everything else is better for your needs with the MSI.
- MSI is cheaper than the Asus.
- Don't know about support but so far for me Asus is absolutely crap. Although just head to these forums for help; it'll be a lot easier!
- For gaming I'm quite sure any AM3 board (especially with the 790FX NB) will suffice. My previous (I'm building a new one soon, waiting for the Asus to be delivered but hoping it doesn't so I can get a refund and buy the MSI!) PC running an Asus M3A78-EM uAtx with a Phenom X4 9950 with 4GB Kingston DDR2-533MHz with a Sapphire HD4830 512MB could place almost any game at full spec (anti-aliasing, annisotropic filtering etc.) at 1680 x 1050 (22" native resolution) with more than playable FPS (Hawx is the only one so far that had it struggling, but not by much). As long as you have a fairly decent graphics card with at least DDR3 (maybe DDR4 with a Sapphire HD3650) you can always expand later once DX10.1 becomes standardised (they're being released more frequently now with DX10.1 support.). This will leave you open for the ATI 5000 series with Direct X11 support for Windows 7.
- MSI is good for futureproofing your PC as AM3 should be around for a while so you can always upgrade your CPU, RAM, graphics card/s etc. later with this board.

In short:

GET THE MSI NOW...

...but make sure you update the BIOS from the get go as so far only the Asus doesn't need a BIOS upgrade out of the box. Not an issue but just thought I should let you know before you scream at me for making you get the MSI!

Hope this helps!

Niall
Old June 3, 2009, 09:07 AM
Rookie

Spacial tanks niallm1dotcom
I'm going to buy MSI right Now ;)
very very thank u for your complete Answer like GOD ANSWER!!!! LOL ;)