Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Need help about selecting motherboard... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/18266-need-help-about-selecting-motherboard.html)

Sprengkopf May 26, 2009 05:52 AM

Need help about selecting motherboard...

Hi,

I'm going to build a sytem in next month. So I decided to think about parts. But I'm stucked there. The Motherboard Selection. Because of I can't decide.

#1 - I will use my computer for gaming (most). Then videos and internet.
#2 - I don't do overclocking,RAID and crossfire/SLI (Certainly!)

This is my two features. And where I stucked...

Firstly I choose ASUS P5Q Pro P45 (172 $), but it too expensive for me becuase of my bucket is about 1000$!

Secondly of course I went to GIGABYTE and I choose EP45C-DS3R P45 (157 $), I read many reviews; someone said that is a good card, someone said is not. This motherboard supporting DDR2 and DDR3. But I see DDR2/DDR3 supporting motherboards always have a problem. This motherboard also has 6 RAM Slot.

Thirdly I turned my face to EP45-DS3L P45 (125 $), that is really really a good motherboard. I decided to choose this motherboard but I think again becuase of Gigabyte's technical services usually have problems in this country.

Lastly, I come back and look ASUS and I saw P5Q SE P45 (137 $), that is good card as EP45-DS3L... But I can't decide which should I buy...

I said again my first deal is gaming. And my computer will be open 12-15 hours.
So which motherboard I should took..

Here the other parts:

CPU: Intel E8400
GPU: ATI HD4870
RAM: OCZ Reaper (2x2) 1066Mhz
Case: Also can't decide.
PSU: Will decide after selecting motherboard and case.

Thanks for helping.

Soultribunal May 26, 2009 06:04 AM

If your never going to Overclock, then get an Intel Board (DP45SG or similar).
Rock stable, will let anything plug into it, and will last for a very long time.

Save yourself some Coin, and ditch the OCZ reaper, and grab some Corsair or Mushkin (you'll find both Cheaper, and get the 800mHz). Unless your benching you won't really notice a difference between 800/1066.

As for the PSU, that should be your first decision, not your last.
The PSU is the heart of the system, if you wait till the end and are forced to buy a cheap one because your budget is gone, then you might as well throw the whole system out because a Bad PSU that blows, can take all your components with it.

Usually, at least for me, I build my System around the PSU , not the other way around.

Welcome to the Forums!!!!!!!!

ST

Sprengkopf May 26, 2009 06:39 AM

Thanks. But I don't want to go a stabil card as DP45SG. I said two of them I will choose. And I will go 800Mhz RAMs may be OCZ Platinium may be Corsair Dominator.

You are right the PSU is really important! But I don't decide case. If I go with Cooler Master RC690 460W I don't decide to buy a PSU. But I'm not really sure 460W PSU is a REAL PSU! So I will choose a case without PSU and will go to buy a PSU. May be it is again OCZ StealhtExtreme or Cooler Master. I don't know. Could you help me?

joeperson May 26, 2009 06:45 AM

What sort games do you intend to play? Are you try to make the system last a few years or just get good performance on current games.

Sprengkopf May 26, 2009 06:50 AM

Current games and the games will release. I want to make the system for a few years. (I can't change parts in laters days until 2010 and 2011.) So I want to make a system which could take me 2-3 years.

Soultribunal May 26, 2009 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprengkopf (Post 200345)
Thanks. But I don't want to go a stabil card as DP45SG. I said two of them I will choose. And I will go 800Mhz RAMs may be OCZ Platinium may be Corsair Dominator.

You are right the PSU is really important! But I don't decide case. If I go with Cooler Master RC690 460W I don't decide to buy a PSU. But I'm not really sure 460W PSU is a REAL PSU! So I will choose a case without PSU and will go to buy a PSU. May be it is again OCZ StealhtExtreme or Cooler Master. I don't know. Could you help me?

When you list 4 Different boards, it gets confusing when you say between two.
Thats fine, if you don't want intel stability thats fine.

If its between Asus and Gigabyte, I'd choose Giga personally (only because I like them, and their boards these days).

460W PSu with case? Don't even bother. Not unless you like throwing money away.
Get a Corsair PSU. Or PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610w. Or (dodges the flaming attacks) a Ultra LSP650/750.
That will power your system Properly.
The CM (or RC690, whatever they want to call it) is a very good case.
You can Upgrade the cooling easily enough, and it will fit most modern Components.

My thoughts at least,

ST

PLg May 26, 2009 07:10 AM

The ds3l would be great for you. It is not for super overclocker but there is the basic tweak if you ever need. (mem timing). As for psu, I completely agree, it as to be made buy a reliable company.
Finally chose your case wisely, because this might be the only thing that is somewhat timeproof. If you pick a nice case. you will be able to use it over and over and if it is big enough you will be able to fit the new componnents that come out.
Any hdd?

Sprengkopf May 26, 2009 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 200355)
When you list 4 Different boards, it gets confusing when you say between two.
Thats fine, if you don't want intel stability thats fine.

If its between Asus and Gigabyte, I'd choose Giga personally (only because I like them, and their boards these days).

460W PSu with case? Don't even bother. Not unless you like throwing money away.
Get a Corsair PSU. Or PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610w. Or (dodges the flaming attacks) a Ultra LSP650/750.
That will power your system Properly.
The CM (or RC690, whatever they want to call it) is a very good case.
You can Upgrade the cooling easily enough, and it will fit most modern Components.

My thoughts at least,

ST

First many many thanks for helping me. I said 4 Different Boards. I ignore Asus P5Q Pro because It's too expensive for me. And at least 3 different boards.

EP45-DS3L P45, that is really really a good cart. But the technical services issue is really troubling me also.
P5Q SE P45 is a alternate of EP45-DS3L P45. I can buy it too.
EP45C-DS3R P45 is a elite card! It has 6 RAM Slots and also supports DDR2 and DDR3.

But I want to know something, if I choose DS3R what can I win and if I choose the others DS3L or P5Q SE what will I lost...

About case and power, I will go honest. In my country (shipping is very very difficult and expensive.)

the PSU Charts like this:

Cooler Master, Frisby, High Power, Silverpower, Thermaltake, Corsair, Gigabyte and OCZ.

the Case Charts like this:

Aerocool, Cooler Master, Feel, Gigabyte, Thermaltake, Aopen, Everest, Frisby.

Ignore Feel, Aopen, Everest, Frisby (Cases) and ignore Frisby, High Power, Silverpower (PSU) they are really really bad.

Let's think about them. What will I do know I'm confused :S :S

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLg (Post 200363)
The ds3l would be great for you. It is not for super overclocker but there is the basic tweak if you ever need. (mem timing). As for psu, I completely agree, it as to be made buy a reliable company.
Finally chose your case wisely, because this might be the only thing that is somewhat timeproof. If you pick a nice case. you will be able to use it over and over and if it is big enough you will be able to fit the new componnents that come out.
Any hdd?

HDD is Seagate 500 GB 16MB SataII Barracuda 7200.12

Soultribunal May 26, 2009 07:33 AM

I personally would not get a Board that supported both DDR2 and DDR3.
That makes for a lot of complication on the board.

If those are your Choices for PSU's , either Thermaltake, or Corsair.

For the Case, Thermaltake or Coolermaster offerings are generally good.

All depends which models are available in your country.

Regards,
ST

joeperson May 26, 2009 07:49 AM

The gigabyte P45-DS3L P45 and the asus P5Q SE P45 vary in the little details. The biggest differences I notice are gigabytes "ultra durable" and the audio chip set. Basically a price or preference choice. If you have a preference for one brand and there isn't a big difference in price go with your preference. If the price difference is big enough and you don't have a preference go for the cheaper one.