Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 13, 2009, 10:36 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Nice work Jody! I like - "For the first time ever, an i7 motherboards price is in the positive column"

Sent out to the twitterverse
Old May 13, 2009, 11:41 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Nice review but 1 minor problem. On page 4 of the review, you wrote Jmicron 636 instead of 363

Quote:
SATA II connector coming from presumably the JMicron 636 controller tucked in-between the PCI-E 16X slots
This is from Asus's site
Quote:
JMicronŽ JMB363 PATA and SATA controller
Old May 13, 2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysrun View Post
Another fine review 3oh6. One thing I really like about your motherboard reviews is that you show hardware installation. I find your pictures illustrate many things that users may have questions about regarding hardware orientation, height limitations and such. About the only question I have about the layout of this board is the tight fit between the two video cards, I know real estate is limited but dosn't that primary video card sort of get choked for air having the secondary card blocking it's airflow? See I'm looking for a SLi board atm so I'm wondering if considerations like that are worth worrying about. My current board has a nice 1 inch gap where my case side panel fan can blow air between the two cards and seems to help cooling. Once again 3oh6 nice review and sorry for straying a lil OT.
thanks...glad they help, that is the goal, try to think of how guys are going to setup a board and anticipate what they might run into. the memory DIMMs with only one lock tab was brilliant i thought, just a great little idea by ASUS. yes, the two cards are going to be tight, this is not a question. it really is just a by product of the mATX form factor. as i said in the review, concessions have to be made. The big reason for ASUS not gapping the two PCI-E slots by one more slot so there is some room is that the second card would then be hanging over the bottom edge of the board. it was a toss up i would imagine...keep the cards tight, or have a card over the bottom edge. it think they went the right way with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Nice work Jody! I like - "For the first time ever, an i7 motherboards price is in the positive column"

Sent out to the twitterverse
yeah, when i looked at the price i was a bit surprised. sure it is still $300, but unfortunately, that is decent for i7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyfromhell View Post
Nice review but 1 minor problem. On page 4 of the review, you wrote Jmicron 636 instead of 363
and there it is. i knew i would have to type something backwards and miss it. it is definitely a 363 controller...notice the symmetry of my mis-type?

thanks for the heads up, will get the crew on it.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:15 PM
Top Prospect

Great review 3oh6. I was also wondering why not do it all with the D0, i have my answer now. Keep up the good work!
Core i7 920(D0) @4.0 1.212v | Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | OCZ Gold 3x2GB CL8 | Silverstone FT01-BW | TRUE 1366-RT | eVga GTX275 FTW (713/1512/1260) | Corsair TX850w | Hitachi 500GB | Seagate 7200.11 750GB | Dual Screen (Dell 2208wfp & Viewsonic VP930b)
Old May 13, 2009, 09:31 PM
Rookie

Awesome review as always, informative and to the point. Nice job

Getting one of these boards for a new build I'm doing next week, got some Redlines on the way (998691)

Seems like a great board for those who will only ever use one video card and still want all the high end features of a ROG mobo. The price sure helps too.
Old August 23, 2009, 10:51 PM
Rookie

First of all thank you for this great review!

I am also concern with the temperature this mobo produced. I could like to use the 3 fans setup you guys devise to help reduce hot temp. I like to ask how do you install the third fan (the one with inclined orientation and blowing the memory and NB)? I like to know how do you install that fan on the motherboard?

I hope my question is clear, quite a newbie question since I am new doing this kind of setup.

Thanks!
Old August 23, 2009, 11:04 PM

for us it really is just a matter of setting that third fan over the memory. we wedge it in-between the 24-pin cable and the top CPU heat sink fan. with an open air bench sitting on it's back, this is fine. if you are in a case, you will want to secure it a little better. it really will depend on the setup you are going where and how you can secure the fan. you can get as complicated as you need to make it look aesthetically pleasing...or as simple as a twist tie.

if you are having issues getting it secured, perhaps a photo or two your setup and we can figure something out. HTH
Old August 24, 2009, 06:27 PM
Rookie

Thanks! I appreciate your fast response.

I stumbled upon this product: http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=ODA=

It is quite a innovative one and found out it is already available locally. The only thing is I need to setup in a case instead of open air, or may be there could be a way to temporary mount it into something so that I can continue to do open air benchmarking and know how it reduce temp especially on the northbridge.

Thanks!!!
Old February 6, 2010, 01:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hey guys, a quick question here. I am assembling a build with the Rampage II GENE MB, but it's going into a Thermaltake Armor + VH600LBWS Liquid Cooled Case. I'm using the i7 920 as it does just as much as the 965 for half the price, and I'm only using the cpu water block adapter for the 1366. Will this be enough of a cooling environment to avoid the heat problems with the NB and SB? It will have all the stock fans that come with the case, including the 230mm fan on the side. I eventually plan on adding additional water blocks for the video card (which right now I'm using the GeForce 250 GTS, up from an 9800 GTX+), and the NB/SB if they make those available. This is my first foray into the Liquid cooled systems and am wondering if you guys had any tips for a new comer to LC. I have been building my own computer and some friends computers for years, so air cooled systems are like driving for me. Any help you guys could give on the LC side would be greatful.
Old February 7, 2010, 09:18 AM

its impossible to say and will depend more on ambient temp of the air coming into the case more than anything. all you can do is set the rig up and do testing to find out. any kind of speculation before that point is useless in my opinion.

you may have perfect temps without having to invest any further in cooling, so i always say build it first and find out as there is no point in water cooling everything if it doesn't require it.