Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Multi-Threaded Applications (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/17842-multi-threaded-applications.html)

CMetaphor May 12, 2009 11:23 AM

Multi-Threaded Applications

Handbrake - HandBrake
- Multi-threaded video encoding/recoding application, scalable up to 8 processors.
Cost: Free!
Blender - blender.org - Home
Open-source 3D rendering program, scales up to 8 processors/cores.

ffdshow - ffdshow
Can re-encode/upconvert video and audio using up to 8 cores and is included with many streaming media players.

WinRAR - WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files
Multi-threaded compression/decompression utility.
Cost: $21 USD

Badaboom - badaboomit.com
Video conversion utility that takes advantage of CUDA supporting GPUs (Nvidia 8-series and newer) but does not use the CPU(s).
Cost: $29.99 USD

Mediacoder - MediaCoder - more than a universal audio/video transcoder

More coming! :thumb:

Gellidius May 12, 2009 12:16 PM

WinRar can also be added to the list.

SKYMTL May 12, 2009 12:32 PM

Bah, fddshow is ok but if you want speed; Badaboom is where it's at. I've been using it for the last few months and I'd say it reduces time by about 75% over an overclocked i7 @ 4Ghz. Granted, you need to pay for it but if you do alot of transcoding and have an 8-series or later Nvidia GPU, you need it.

CMetaphor May 12, 2009 12:42 PM

Updated! :thumb:

SKYMTL May 12, 2009 12:50 PM

Sorry, I should have made this clear: to my knowledge, Badaboom CANNOT be used on the CPU.

CMetaphor May 12, 2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 193824)
Sorry, I should have made this clear: to my knowledge, Badaboom CANNOT be used on the CPU.

Awww... looked promising too. I'll Edit...

lowfat May 12, 2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 193815)
Bah, fddshow is ok but if you want speed; Badaboom is where it's at. I've been using it for the last few months and I'd say it reduces time by about 75% over an overclocked i7 @ 4Ghz. Granted, you need to pay for it but if you do alot of transcoding and have an 8-series or later Nvidia GPU, you need it.

Everytime I tried to use Badaboom the video came out was 1-2 FPS during playback. Just butchered the video. It also doesn't give near the control as does Handbrake when it comes to h.264.

EDIT: Handbrake will use 8 threads, however there was no increase in performance with the use of hyperthreading. 4 cores vs 8 threads were nearly identical in encoding time. But with HT enabled it caused the CPU's to run significantly hotter.

SKYMTL May 12, 2009 01:44 PM

Handbrake is a great piece of software.

However, your experiences with Badaboom and interesting. I haven't had an issue with the newest builds.

Chilly May 12, 2009 02:12 PM

I perfer to use custom x264 builds, scales very well, even with hyperthreading! You *can* get much better quality due to the amount of control you have.

x264.tk - Its a command line program but you can use a gui program to control it like meGUI MeGUI - MeWiki

lowfat May 12, 2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilly (Post 193873)
I perfer to use custom x264 builds, scales very well, even with hyperthreading! You *can* get much better quality due to the amount of control you have.

x264.tk - Its a command line program but you can use a gui program to control it like meGUI MeGUI - MeWiki

Ya that looks way confusing. Have you tried handbrake? The advanced options gives a considerable amount of control.