Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2009, 05:21 PM
Rookie
F@H

Default Motherboard with onboard graphics?

Will they have any conflicts if the onboard graphics card is paired with a discrete 1?

ie: if I put in a gtx 260 in a mobo with ati onboard graphics... (or vise versa with an Intel board and ATI graphics)

Also, if I pair it with a card from the same brand, do I gain any extra performance?

thanks for helping
Old May 3, 2009, 05:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbC-50 View Post
Will they have any conflicts if the onboard graphics card is paired with a discrete 1?

ie: if I put in a gtx 260 in a mobo with ati onboard graphics... (or vise versa with an Intel board and ATI graphics)

Also, if I pair it with a card from the same brand, do I gain any extra performance?

thanks for helping
Generally onboard graphics will become disabled as soon as you put a discrete card in.

This is not applicable to a motherboard that has the ATI dualview but then you need a ATI card to match it.
Old May 3, 2009, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

nope, i have a 9600GT on an ASUS M2A VM which has ati 1250 onboard

-Plato
Old May 3, 2009, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

When installing a graphics card whether it be vga or pci-e, you should disable the onboard graphics through bios to prevent hardware and driver conflicts. You can run into all sorts of weirdness if you don't.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old May 3, 2009, 07:14 PM
Rookie
F@H

ahh ok

Was hoping to pair a hd4870 w/ an asus mobo , but i guess not.

just gona go with a gtx 260 then

thanks guys
Old May 4, 2009, 02:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the gtx 260 + that on board won't have conflict. Just make sure you don't install the onboarrd drivers :)
Old May 4, 2009, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, on systems that I've done that have onboard video I install all the drivers for that system as needed. When adding a video card I simply power off and plug it in. I've never turned off the onboard in BIOS.

I've *never* had any issues. One of these systems houses my way overclocked 8800GT on an ATI chipset Asus motherboard. This machine also folds 24/7

Now all that being said, there are Nvidia motherboards out there like the M3N78-VM that Asus sell that support that "Hybrid SLI" mode that Nvidia has. According to the manual:

Quote:
"Hybrid SLI technology is a unique hybrid multi-GPU technology built upon Nvidia. Hybrid SLI techonolgy today includes two primary freatures: GeForce Boost and HybridPower. GeForce Boost turbo-charges performance of Nvidia discrete graphics cards when combined with this series motherboard GPU. HybridPower unleashes graphics performance from the discrete GPU when needed and enables the (editing for engrish) the onboard GPU to be used in lower power situations"
So yes, you can get extra performance if you pair it with the same brand of discrete video card.... but only if the motherboard supports that. This is a new feature, or at least I have never ran into it before.

I don't know how much of a pain in the ass it is to get that to work, however....

Last edited by Perineum; May 4, 2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old May 4, 2009, 07:04 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Hybrid graphics, if I remember from the nvidia only works with a few older model of gpu now.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

280's aren't all that old

Hybrid SLI technology

Here's the PDF that explains it all....

http://www.nvidia.com/content/hsli/c...User_Guide.pdf
Old May 5, 2009, 06:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Disable onboard first boot in BIOS, and you can run anything.
I have a Gigabyte board with a ATi Chipset on board, and have yet to have an issue.
That being said, both ATi and nVidia have their own Hybrid setups for onboard with their own native cards.
I have no idea how good it is, but seeing as how I'm folding with that board, I ain't gonna try lol.
So ATi board, with nVidia GTS250.
Works very good.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com