Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8, 2009, 05:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogatc View Post
Canada Computers is now getting i7 920 with D0 stepping. Got one at their Waterloo store $359.
Seriously? I was just up there on Wednesday and all ten of their 920's were C0's.
Old May 8, 2009, 07:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Someone there must be hiding the good stuff. . .
Old May 8, 2009, 11:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, 3oh6 and I finally met up today. What a nice fella. It turned out that I actually knew him from before! HA. Well, I talked to him a year or so ago for a half hour or so in a computer shop.

I got to see some LN2 action on his setup and man...we were both really impressed of his D0 chip. This thing was flying through benchmarks. 3oh6, did you manage to beat 10K tonight?

I also brought my tower over with a D0 and a push-pull TRUE, and it could actually post and load Windows at 200x21 (4.2 GHz). I wish I grabbed a screenie. It could actually probably POST at 4.3-4.4 GHz before hitting Tjmax. However, after having brought it home during a wicked thunderstorm and powering it up at home, it wouldn't pass Prime95, even after the first few Blend Tests. I tried tweaking the voltages a bit, increasing each one bit by bit, but the temperature and the stability was lost no matter what I did. I then gave up after numerous times tweaking with E-LEET and the BIOS, and finally settles for an even 191x21 @1.20 V (4 GHz with Turbo enabled). A screenshot is below. I can probably take the memory multiplier up one, depending if the board likes odd numbers or not.

I think that if I had a watercooled setup, I could've pushed this thing to 4.4-4.7 GHz. Like 3oh6 said, this batch code does seem to run hot, and I don't think my TRUE could've handle any more heat. What was great though was that the voltages are much lower on the D0s than the C0/1's.

Thanks 3oh6. I had a lot of fun and a good chat with you. Let me know how that chip turns out!

Old May 8, 2009, 11:47 PM
Associate Review Editor

Holy hell, you're hitting 77C at 4.0Ghz/1.20V with a push-pull TRUE?

Should have let Jody try your chip under LN2

I'll be trying my D0 in an hour or so, just finishing some in-depth testing of my current chip so I can do a proper comparison.
Old May 9, 2009, 12:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Did you say you have a 3845B026 MAC? Jody and I had the same chip. At least we know that the chip tolerates voltage well for higher frequencies, but not so much temperature.

Oh, and as for getting Jody to test my chip under LN2? I agreed to let him do it when the time comes.
Old May 9, 2009, 12:30 AM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Did you say you have a 3845B026 MAC?
Yep, you, me, Jody, and netforce all the same batch so far.

Quote:
Oh, and as for getting Jody to test my chip under LN2? I agreed to let him do it when the time comes.
Old May 9, 2009, 12:30 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

It may have been posted already but NCIX are now cherry pickin the 920 with D0 stepping for customers.

Old May 9, 2009, 12:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yup found it..... it has been posted before.

Old May 9, 2009, 07:36 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Well, 3oh6 and I finally met up today. What a nice fella. It turned out that I actually knew him from before! HA. Well, I talked to him a year or so ago for a half hour or so in a computer shop....'snip'

Thanks 3oh6. I had a lot of fun and a good chat with you. Let me know how that chip turns out!
Yup, that's what you get for working in a local computer shop for a year...all the computer junkies know you

definitely was a good night with bojangles, great guy too. glad to help out and my back door is usually open so swing by anytime. we got his system up and stability testing around 4GHz and then did a little 06 CPU action with the 920. what was it, 20 minutes and we were up to 5.1GHz with ease? hammered out a quick 30K with a single GTX 295 at stock clocks...then got bojangles computer out to his car in the rain.

when i got back in the system had stopped and warmed up so there was a bit of moisture here and there so i didn't bother firing it back up. so no 10K CPU score last night. might have another go tonight after getting some work done. but it sounds like someone is hooked on the LN2 cold bug

Quote:
yup, we'll be checking to see what it does under cold. should be interesting to see if it runs right up to 250BCLK like mine does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Holy hell, you're hitting 77C at 4.0Ghz/1.20V with a push-pull TRUE?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Yep, you, me, Jody, and netforce all the same batch so far.
when you get it fired up, your first instinct will be to remount the CPU cooler...don't bother, it is just that hot. you'll see that the temps Eric is getting are more than acceptable...for that chip. mine runs even hotter on the open bench at the same settings than his does in his case. but so far that is two chips running 4GHz stable right around 1.2v or less, so i would start there for other 3845B026's
Old May 9, 2009, 08:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6
when i got back in the system had stopped and warmed up so there was a bit of moisture here and there so i didn't bother firing it back up. so no 10K CPU score last night. might have another go tonight after getting some work done. but it sounds like someone is hooked on the LN2 cold bug
Oh man sorry about that! Were we outside for that long? I guess the garbage bag took a bit of time. I hope nothing is borked. But yeah, it is pretty neat stuff when cooling with LN2. It's awesome how the store is so close and so cheap. PRAXAIR ftw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6
when you get it fired up, your first instinct will be to remount the CPU cooler...don't bother, it is just that hot. you'll see that the temps Eric is getting are more than acceptable...for that chip. mine runs even hotter on the open bench at the same settings than his does in his case. but so far that is two chips running 4GHz stable right around 1.2v or less, so i would start there for other 3845B026's
I reseated my stock heatsink 3 times before declaring that it wasn't the seating or the TIM. I just made sure I got a very decent CPU cooler for it, and the TRUE on push/pull configuration is great. Now I just gotta buy another poo fan for my case side to cool my graphics card and get some partial airflow to the RAM.

I had lots of fun and learned alot about the limitations of computers last night. That's quite the setup you have at home. I love how the A/C was directly in that room. Thanks man!