Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5, 2009, 05:36 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Infonec in Mississauga has a bunch of D0 batch# 3845B026 chips in stock. Get them while they're hot! :)
Old May 5, 2009, 05:58 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by netforce View Post
Infonec in Mississauga has a bunch of D0 batch# 3845B026 chips in stock. Get them while they're hot! :)
and they are hot...my 920 from that date code runs hot as hell. 4GHz is stable at 1.187v under load, but it runs as hot as my 965 does 4GHz with 1.4v. i can get 4.2GHz stable with the A/C cracking pretty easy but after that temps are just too high on air. if you are water cooling though, should be great chips if you can keep temps down.

oh, and they run 5GHz under LN2 with ease
Old May 5, 2009, 06:03 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
and they are hot...my 920 from that date code runs hot as hell. 4GHz is stable at 1.187v under load, but it runs as hot as my 965 does 4GHz with 1.4v. i can get 4.2GHz stable with the A/C cracking pretty easy but after that temps are just too high on air. if you are water cooling though, should be great chips if you can keep temps down.

oh, and they run 5GHz under LN2 with ease
Hm... i wonder how it'll do under water with a PA 120.2 connected to a FC block for GTX 295 and the apogee GTZ...
I might have to invest in another rad.. :|
Old May 5, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree 3oh6. I have the same 920 as you and the stock Intel cooler is having a lot of problems keeping it below 60, and this is even after reseating SEVERAL times with MX-2 compound. Oh well, I just ordered a TRUE! My TX750 comes in as well tomorrow and I'm also going to get my dremel tool out to make some small cuts. I seriously don't know why they rounded that motherboard tray edge so far. It doesn't leave any space for the ATX cable to pass behind the tray and back case wall.
Old May 5, 2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
I agree 3oh6. I have the same 920 as you and the stock Intel cooler is having a lot of problems keeping it below 60, and this is even after reseating SEVERAL times with MX-2 compound. Oh well, I just ordered a TRUE!
yeah buddy, don't bother re-seating...there ain't a problem with your mount
even the TRUE has a hard time handling this date code at 1.20v.

these are just a hot batch...like the E6600 L629B's and other various batches. us sub-zero benchers love them because they handle current well because that is what is making them so hot. for the air/water guys they clock really well with low voltage, but are way hot. hotter than you would ever think. it might be interesting to see what a 120.2 can handle with a GTX 295 and one of these hot potatoes.
Old May 5, 2009, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes I'd really like to see how DO will do with water.

What I don't get is how could a chip that runs hotter be a better over-clocker. It used to be that a core-2 chip running cooler at a given oc'd speed had more overall oc potential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Now obviously a WC system would be a whole new ballgame and I would most definitely see the benefits of the DO Chip!

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.

Last edited by magictorch; May 5, 2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old May 5, 2009, 06:19 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
it might be interesting to see what a 120.2 can handle with a GTX 295 and one of these hot potatoes.
Stay tuned for my worklog! :D
Gonna paint my 120.2 this week. I'm thinking that if i paint a nice flame on the side of the rad, it'll make it cool better! :D
But i need to get my 295 waterblock first...
Old May 5, 2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
What I don't get is how can a chip that runs hotter could be a better over-clocker. Did'nt it used to be that a core-2 chip running cooler at a given oc'd speed had more overall oc potential?
it is a balancing act. like i said, my 920 D0 of this batch runs 4GHz 24/7 stable at 1.187v under load. my 965 C0 needs over 1.40v to run 4GHz 24/7 stable...but at that voltage, it is running the same temp as the 920 which is using waaaay less voltage, but clearly higher current.

so they are running the same frequency, same temp, but different voltage. there is more to a chips potential than just temp at a certain speed.

my 965 is only 4.1GHz 24/7 so far in two boards. this 920 runs 4.2GHz stable in everything as long as i keep load temps below 90C. if i could keep load temps around 70C, this might be a 4.4GHz ~4.5GHz 24/7 chip. perhaps a dedicated loop with a 120.2 or something could keep those temps, hard to say though.
Old May 5, 2009, 06:54 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

We got liftoff!
Just popped the chip in.. you're right.. it's a little toasty with my MCR360...
I overclocked it to 4.5Ghz without even trying!
I can't post proper figures, as i'm still fine-tuning it. But let me put it this way... 1.45v is kinda out of the question unless you're using some good cooling.
It likes to idle in the low 50's
Old May 5, 2009, 07:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

HAHA. So I've been playing around in the BIOS on my EVGA X58 SLI board because I wanted to turn down the heat. I disabled the Turbo Boost function and the temperatures dropped 10 degrees! LOL. And that's only for an extra 133 MHz. I can see how hot this thing is going to get, even with a TRUE.

3oh6 if you get a different 920 D0 batch code can you let me know? I'd be glad to swap it with you lol.