Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28, 2009, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Two CPU Questions. Cooling and higher end = cheaper?

Okay, so right now I am running on a AM2 AMD Phenom 9950 BE @ 3.0 GHz. It runs at this speed no problem, but I want to overclock it more. My room, which I keep the computer in is fairly cool. Its about 20C/68F in the room, and so far my CPU stays around 36C/96F when playing video games. (Thats all I am really doing, I do not do anything at full-load) My first question is, what is the best after market CPU Cooler (air) out there?
(I was thinking the Coolermaster V10, but that come in the way when changing/ upgrading RAM. How good is the Coolermaster V8?)

My second question is that if I upgrade my CPU, I was thinking of a new Phenom II. I am looking at the 920 and 940. The thing is, tigerdirect.ca says that the 920 is normally $349.99 (ON SALE FOR $299.99), and the 940 is $275.99.

Why is the 920 more expensive?
Old April 28, 2009, 03:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Stay away from Coolermaster. Look at Noctua instead.
Old April 28, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
Stay away from Coolermaster. Look at Noctua instead.
How about Arctic Cooling?
Old April 28, 2009, 05:00 PM
Top Prospect

Direct Canada has Phenom II X4 940 @ $228 As for cooling get Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer 4 Or OCZ Vendetta 2 they both out perform Thermalright 120 Extreme...

Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUs and much more : OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Cooler $39.99
Old April 28, 2009, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

crazyhorsejohnny is way right. Many years ago Coolermaster make a name by doing some great cooler...now they have a good reputation they are doing thing like V8 and V10 wich litteraly suck and are holy shitty expensive. Most of the time company that we do not realy know like noctua xigmatek and more make the best of the best ;)
Old April 28, 2009, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
crazyhorsejohnny is way right. Many years ago Coolermaster make a name by doing some great cooler...now they have a good reputation they are doing thing like V8 and V10 wich litteraly suck and are holy shitty expensive. Most of the time company that we do not realy know like noctua xigmatek and more make the best of the best ;)
Does the OCZ come with/need an AM2 backplate?
Old April 28, 2009, 09:55 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

[quote=Yamcha;186550] As for cooling get Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer 4 Or OCZ Vendetta 2 they both out perform Thermalright 120 Extreme...

Got some proof?....

Get yourself a Noctua .......I have one and like it just fine.....I'm even starting to get used to the colour of the fan's.
Old April 29, 2009, 05:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

For a Very affordable CPU Upgrade, that doesn't break the bank I think you should go with the same one I just picked up!

Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUs and much more : AMD PHENOM II X4 810 2.6GHz 95W AM3 6MB

And, not one of the most suggested CPU coolers, but it does keep up to all the Top end ones (at least according to FrostyTech)

ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 CPU Cooler - Socket 775, 939, 940, AM2 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Those are my thoughts at least,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 29, 2009, 06:38 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

A TRUE is a great choice. You will have to mount it facing up unless you buy one of these and some washers/nuts to mount it facing the rear. It will likely give you the best results. The xig s1283 is the best bang for your buck in my opinion.

When all men think alike, nobody thinks very much.
Walter Lippman

2600K @ 4.8GHz 1.44v
ASRock Extreme4
GTX 460 SLI
Old April 29, 2009, 07:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

xigmatek is very good for there price jmo