Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 27, 2009, 11:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Evga Classified Build Complete !

Hey folks
Well got home from work the day before yesterday (late evening) to my brand new Classified Board
Yesterday I swapped out my 1200 RPM Silverstone GPU Cooling / Intake Fan for a Scythe SFlex 1900 RPM to try and get a little more "in" airflow over my GPU's.
Also yesterday I plugged the bare essentials in "outside" the Case to a "happy" Post, then proceeded to install everything into the Silverstone.
Prior to "tending to cable management" I once again booted up to a happy Post and ensured Temps on my Cores were ok....really felt awkward using the I7 Diamond "bubble-gum" stuff for the CPU, but went ahead with it.
So, finished all the Cable Management this AM and am typing this Post on my now re-built Rig in my Sig.
At this point I have not done any OC'ing or Benching, I'll let things break-in first!! Some notes with the re-build:
1. Replacing the Silverstone TJ09 GPU / Intake Fan is somewhat of a pita, it can only be done while the Case is "stripped" and you will definitely need a long, narrow magnetic tip phillips!!
2. The Fan Header location on the classified Board are not that great imo, honestly, why couldn't they have had a couple of Fan Headers at the top and 24 Pin side...I didn't have any 3 Pin Fan extensions so basically am running a few of my Fans off the Molex connector.
3. The additional 8 Pin CPU cable that comes with the Corsair HX 1kW is "just" long enough to reach the 2nd CPU 8 Pin connector on the board...nice! Although I did not have to plug in the additional 8 Pin CPU connector, I have it, so why not.
4. No issues at all Posting, although I did rememeber to "Clear CMOS" prior to powering up and had to reset my date / time in the BIOS....no biggie, I was happily greeted with the Evga Classified splash screen upon 1st boot-up! btw, no need to go single stick of RAM, all 3 Corsair Sticks were immediately recognized.

Anyhow, sorry, no build Log as promised as I simply was "impatient" to get this thing built and ensure no issues with the Classified Board, also my Cameras battery was dead...
Oh well.....in the next few days I'll see what kind of O'clocking I can get, will be happy to get to my 3.8 Ghz I had on my X58 vanilla Board.

Also, the TRUE mounted in a East / West orientation with a "push / pull" 1500 RPM Scyth SFlex complete with the TRUE plastic Fan holders just fits...the TRUE "just" barely clears the Northbridge Cooler.

BTW, the shipping box from Evga was in excellent shape and everything was in the box - Certificate # 0525!

Good to be home

Last edited by rjbarker; April 27, 2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old April 27, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Pictures or it never happened...

:) I wanna see!
Old April 27, 2009, 11:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was always most impressed with your previous build if you have chance over the next few days take a few glamour shots for us all.

Glad to see you're back, its been a busy folding month for us all hopefully you can't that i7 and your 2 GTX280's folding for the team and help us reach our goal of 100.

Regards,

Adam
Old April 27, 2009, 12:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, get some batteries and get a few pics up!

And if you quit at 3.8GHz, men in black suits will visit your house and take your motherboard and give it someone who will do cruel things to the board like EVGA intended.
Old April 27, 2009, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah just tried some pics at VGS Res, but the damn images still wind up at 1.2 MB......gotta train myself how to take pics and post everytime I do this, about once every few months, anyhow, got some banking and what not to do in town, will try and get some pics up soon.

Old April 27, 2009, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Pictures or it never happened...
Oh....it happened
Name:  DSC01593 2.jpg
Views: 2752
Size:  626.4 KB

Name:  Box.jpg
Views: 2370
Size:  516.4 KB

Name:  DSC01594 3.jpg
Views: 2671
Size:  700.2 KB

Name:  DSC01597 6.jpg
Views: 2376
Size:  589.1 KB

A few more..

Name:  DSC01599 8.jpg
Views: 2771
Size:  615.8 KB

A few more days and get down to some OC'ing....only crappy ting is with the warm weather my Computer Room upstairs gets quite warm...
That was my only factor with my X58 vanilla Board was stable at 4.05 Ghz but toasty.....next step for me I suppose is water.

Another note, considering this thing is running 7 x 120mm Fans, the 140mm on the HX 1kW and the 2 280's, it really is reasonably quiet, nice light hum!

cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by rjbarker; May 21, 2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old April 29, 2009, 02:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well been playing around OC'ing once again....looks like I'm going to settle on:
200 Bclk x 19 = 3.8 Ghz Memory 2:8 = 1600 Mhz 8-8-8-24 1T
vCore 1.325v - lowered to 1.3125v
vtt +175mv - lowered to +125mv
vDimm 1.63v

I went for 4 Ghz a few times with the last being a BSOD running P95 vCore @ 1.425...bottomline, the amount of additional vCore required to get stable at 4 Ghz imo is not worth it.
This Classified Board does require a little more vCore to get stable compared to my vanilla.
Temps....I7 Diamond
Idle 35 - 37c
Load 66c
vReg 45c
Northbridge (obviously no way to monitor) but if I exit P95 quickly, reboot and check in BIOS shows 64c, at this point I haven't placed any additional fans on it.
Has it been worth it?....Performancewise..not really (for air cooling), visually its far sexier than the X58 vanilla and the thing has no issues, as in my Cold Boot issues on my vanilla Board...

Great Board

Last edited by rjbarker; May 1, 2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old April 30, 2009, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks very good RJ......the case and the classified work well together-although a nice cpu block would leave more room to enjoy the view. Good luck with thrashing that i920.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old April 30, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thnkas Magic.....stressing as I type... :)

Old April 30, 2009, 06:22 PM
Top Prospect

That space between the two card looks like a cavern. It looks like a third gtx 280 would fit quite nicely. Heck even if Trisli doesn't work, you would get physX and the most powerful folding machine on here.

However, if possible, I think what you need RJ is better fans on the TRUE, maybe some Sanyo Denki San Ace fans.