Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20, 2009, 09:33 PM
Associate Review Editor

Default ASUS M4A78T-E 790GX AM3 Motherboard Review

Hey everyone, we have just posted a review of the fully featured ASUS M4A78T-E motherboard, which is based on the new AM3 platform and which utilizes the highly-rated AMD 790GX chipset.

If you have any comments and questions, you can post them here here, and I will do my best to answer them

Old April 21, 2009, 01:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Excellent review. It was more detailed than usual I thought. It's not often we see the AMD side of things here!

The only wonky part of this review was that it couldn't really compare to anything because you don't really have any review samples of other boards. It would be nice to see memory benchmarks and other comparisons in the same review. This could be a starting point though...

Overall I read all of it, because it was so good!. Quite a minimalistic motherboard I think.
Old April 21, 2009, 05:31 AM
Top Prospect

First thing i noticed is that I would instantly use both PCI slots and hope I didn't need anymore.

Great review

Easy follow and once again superb testing methods and charts.

I might even get one of those boards or use it in another build for a friend.
Old April 21, 2009, 12:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Great review. Very nice pictures. Any chance that you will review MSI's 790GX-G65 for comparison? I am going to build one soon, and these are the latest AM3 crops.
Old April 21, 2009, 12:17 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

We have access to that board but with MAC going to the GOOC this week and an upcoming review of the X58 Eclipse, it wouldn't be added to the schedule for the next while.
Old April 21, 2009, 12:48 PM
Rookie

hmm so if i buy this motherboard, will the "bad ddr3 ram" hold me back? i'm still not getting why ram has to be clocked at even 1600mhz... i must be missing something. a little off topic, but could someone write a short blurb on why that is?

i'm thinkin of going am3, but maybe i'll just chicken out and buy some q6600 setup (used, of course) for cheap until am3/ddr3 works well.
Old April 21, 2009, 01:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice review MAC.

No real surprise IMO, AM3's dont see a big boost from dd3, same as when AM2 came out no big improvement over ddr.
Old April 21, 2009, 03:30 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paceee View Post
hmm so if i buy this motherboard, will the "bad ddr3 ram" hold me back? i'm still not getting why ram has to be clocked at even 1600mhz... i must be missing something. a little off topic, but could someone write a short blurb on why that is?
It won't hold you back, it's just not as much fun to have a 'hard limit' for those of us who like to tweak
Old April 21, 2009, 08:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Excellent Review MAC, now that I am dabbling in the AMD field, I've got a lot more interest in these new platforms.

I like that board, too bad I already have a good one!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 22, 2009, 11:54 AM
Trial Member

Default cpu/nb "limit"

beware!! most knowledgable phenom 2 oc'ers find diminishing returns (and stability) around 2400-2600 cpu/nb. i've seen d'ice runs that didn't top 2600...

not really an issue of the mobo. most oc'ers i know say around 2200-2400 is the sweet spot anyways.

congrats on the first AMD review! tweaking these processors is a lot different than you're used to (nehalem should be a bit of a primer, but still very different), but the more you learn about what the "little things" do, the more you can push them! enjoy the journey!!!