Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2009, 10:36 AM
MVP

Default intel Smackover - any good?

So a friend of a friend is changing out his intel x58 smackover for an Asus board. He has offered me the intel at what seems a fairly good deal. But I have read some reviews that question the intel on the matter of ram slots - only 4, of which you can really only use 3, as the 4th one is then in single channel mode and more or less of a waste of time. So: will 6 GB be enough for intense gaming? And, if you have used this board, how is it? What bugs you about the lay out or the install? While we are at it, on the new i7 cpu coolers, I sure hope they improved the method of attaching the cooler to the mobo? Hopefully it isnt' the silly push pins still form the core2?
Anyway thanks for your time.
zilla
Old April 19, 2009, 11:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

6GB is plenty of memory for gaming. In fact, 3GB is plenty enough for the majority of games (although there are a couple out there that appreciate more). The stock i7 cooler is basically the same thing as the core2 coolers, slightly different dimensions, that's all. Aftermarket cooler is highly recommended, especially if any overclocking is in the plans. The board itself had a pretty rough ride back when all the new boards were just hitting the review sites, haven't really heard anything good or bad lately.
Old April 19, 2009, 11:19 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

It's a very good X58 board, but not one enthousiasts would drool all over.

If you ever need a TRUE for the i7, hang around - my Spring sale is coming up...
Old April 19, 2009, 12:27 PM
MVP

I'm not a big OC guy anyway - I just don't have the patience for all of those re-boots. So if smackover isn't too bad then, I should see what his bottom line price is. Hmm, and then new ram, a new cpu.....it gets interesting in a hurry, this i7 upgrade.
Old April 19, 2009, 12:58 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I may have some ram for you too... if you wish to have a stable board, then the Intel X58 is a good choice.
Old April 19, 2009, 07:32 PM
Rookie

+1 not every enthusiasts favourite mobo that's for sure. Although it is perfect for those not planning to overclock.
Old April 19, 2009, 07:51 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I may have some ram for you too... if you wish to have a stable board, then the Intel X58 is a good choice.
Haha looking forward to your sale...I am chomping at the bit for i7, and I will be pairing it up with a True (unless I can find a Prolimatech cooler around).
Fold for team #54196