Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2009, 06:30 PM
Top Prospect
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 185
Default should I upgrade to i7/ddr3/x58 now?

current specs

P5Q Pro
4870 512MB

It would cost me about 800 bucks to upgrade to a i7 920, 6GB DDR3 1333, and P6T . Is it really worth getting an i7 now or should I pocket about 400 bucks and spend 300 on a second 4870 to crossfire and wait till Black friday/xmas/boxing day to get an i7 package?

how well would two 4870s preform in crossfire? I have VX550W, which should be enough but I don't think it has enough # pin connectors for a second 4870.

performance wise, how much of an improvement would I see after upgrading to i7?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2009, 06:56 PM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is offline
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,034

Skymtl will probably post with better info at some point...but...I'd personally wait for the 2nd gen i7s before pulling the trigger.... BUT get a more robust PSU if you plan on dropping a second 4870 into your system! 550 may be "technically" enough (but I doubt it and wouldn't do it even if it is). Drop a 750 into it at a minimum. YMMV...etc etc :)
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2009, 07:31 PM
gingerbee's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Posts: 6,850

My System Specs


ah the eternal upgrade question i think so but if you can wait i think it's really how long you can wait
Fav quote "One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret." Ronin Harris
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2009, 08:30 PM
crispex's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 283

At this point, you could wait a few months for the new shinies (multiple shiny objects? ) to come out, or you could just go with what's on the shelves right now.

Entirely up to whether or not you're sick of your current computer, and want better performance.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2009, 08:32 PM
Jake_HT's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,976

My System Specs


Wait more DDR3 getting cheap matter of time before other i7 crap does. But then you could argue that the i7s later won't be binned as good an OC bad? Who knows.. but taht is good system still wait it out save money roguh tnight.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old March 30, 2009, 11:44 AM
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cambridge, ON.
Posts: 504

Its a question one can only really answer themselves based on money you allot to disposible products vs your needs and pesonal preferences.
MSI Z77 M Power/Bios17.12
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel SSD
Win 10 Pro x64

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old March 30, 2009, 11:54 AM
Linus's Avatar  
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 616

I've got a Gigabyte EX58-EXTREME that I keep forgetting to take pics of and put in the BST. PM me if you're interested.
Please note: I am not here to provide official NCIX support on these forums.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old March 30, 2009, 11:57 AM
chrisk's Avatar
Folding Captain
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 7,564

My System Specs


I am in the same position. Upgrade path for me now is tentatively i7/ram/mobo this summer, and then SSDs at Xmas. If there is no room to do this (summer vacation busts budget), then I will probably wait for second gen i7.

If I jump on the i7 gen 1 bandwagon, the I might get some new DDR3, new mobo, and then look for a good used i7 920 that has been overclocked well to ensure I get one that will do the job. That is, of course, unless there is a stepping/part number that is new and OCs well (like the i7 version of the Q6600 SLACR).

I have noticed that the price of decent DDR3 has been dropping a lot lately. Also, we are still mostly in the first revisions of the motherboards out there. These would be the main reasons I would wait.
Fold for team #54196
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old March 30, 2009, 12:44 PM
Liu Kang's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 470

What do you use your computer for? If you're a gamer, then the i7 upgrade is a waste of cash...

WORK KANG: Silverstone SG03 | EVGA x58 Micro w/ 920 @ 4.2Ghz | Sapphire 5970 | 12GB Dominator DDR3-2000 | 240GB Revodrive X2 | SilverStone ST650F
MINI KANG: BitFenix Prodigy | Asus P8Z77i Deluxe mITX w/ 2600K @ 4.5Ghz | EVGA GTX 680 2GB | 8GB Vengeance DDR3-1866 | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | Corsair AX650
KANGZILLA: Custom MM Ascension | SR-2 | 2x X5650 | 2x SilverStone ST1000F | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | 15x 120mm rads | Under construction...

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old March 30, 2009, 12:59 PM
Ging9's Avatar
Top Prospect
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Posts: 82

My System Specs


I have almost the exact same system specs as you do (with a 750 w PS) and have been tossing around the idea of the i7 upgrade. A lot of it depends on what you're using your system for, and if gaming is the main point of the upgrade, what resolutions are you playing at? For me, my 22" Sammy maxes at 1680 X 1050, so I'm not really pushing my 4870 that hard. I'm thinking of going the crossfire route, but unlike you, I'll have to swap motherboards first.

I think I'll hold off on the i7s until the first price drop hits. By then, Windows 7 should be out and it'll be time to for a fresh install with the new motherboard.
Asus P8P67 Deluxe, i5 2500K, MSI 560 GTX Ti, Corsair 600T, 4X2 GB Kingston 1600, Corsair H60, PC P&C 750.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[FS] FS: 2x1gb OCZ ddr3-1600 2x2gb Patriot ddr3-1600 Razer copperhead MarcusFoX Buy/Sell & Trade 8 February 14, 2009 10:45 AM
Dual Channel DDR3 Vs Triple Channel DDR3 mo_bettah RAM 2 December 16, 2008 08:43 AM
FS: Rampage Extreme, 4GB CSX Diablo DDR3 2000, 4GB OCZ Gold DDR3 1600MHz, E8600 zlojack Buy/Sell & Trade 13 November 15, 2008 04:30 PM
Team Group Introduces DDR3-1800 & DDR3-2000 4GB Memory Kits MAC Press Releases & Tech News 0 September 17, 2008 07:03 PM
FS: OCZ Platinum OCZ3P13332GK 2GB DDR3 2X1GB DDR3-1333 JPxM0Dz Buy/Sell & Trade 2 April 14, 2008 10:40 AM