Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26, 2009, 07:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default 3oh6 - Classified and Northbridge Temps

Hey thier 3oh....seen you had your Classified up n running on the Evga Web Site....I'm a little concerned as to all the folks thier complaining of high Northbridge Temps and reduced to adding 40-50mm Fans to the Heatsink......what are your thoughts on this and how are your Northbridge Temps and vReg Temps?My vanilla is Tracked to San Fran so should be at Evga Brea, Cal tomorrow or ther next day then my ships. But was almost thinking of pulling the pin and cancelling due to these Temp complaints.....

Old March 27, 2009, 06:57 AM
Banned

I also woould like to ask this. I made a steup to the classified and if what I am hearing is true then it will be canceled.
Old March 27, 2009, 07:51 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Could you guys maybe link to the thread on the EVGA forums so we can have some background on this?
Old March 27, 2009, 08:37 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Could you guys maybe link to the thread on the EVGA forums so we can have some background on this?
just go to the X58 section and look for a ridiculous amount of whining

So what is your Classified NB temps running at ?

i haven't voiced an opinion in that thread because i haven't done the proper testing to have the ability to voice an opinion, unlike everyone else in there screaming foul who haven't even received their boards yet. but here are my thoughts...

EVGA puts an active fan on the X58 SLI, people complain
EVGA puts passive cooling on the Classified, people complain

and what point are consumers going to realize they aren't the only one that counts. they are simply a small piece to a large puzzle and for a manufacturer to please everyone is a virtual impossibility. what a passive cooling solution offers is the "potential ability" to please everyone. for those that want a quiet system, it is there. for those that don't mind some fan noise, they can add it.

i have to admit i stopped reading that thread a while back because some of the comments are completely ridiculous. they all but want to burn down EVGA head quarters because of this. i do not - with absolutely no exceptions aside for the thermal testing section of reviews - run memory without a 120mm fan blowing over them leaned up against the CPU heat sink, hanging off the phase/ln2 pot mounting hardware, etc. what this also does is provides moving air to keep the MB heat sinks assemblies cool as most motherboards have been passively cooled for years now.

here is a photo of my setup since i have received the board and started testing...

i chose this angle to show the fans direction. there is also another UltraKaze 120mm pushing through the TRUE CU. now, these are the 2000RPM version so noise, in my opinion which is useless because i apparently like fan noise or don't register half of it, is not too bad with three of them. one of the GTX 295s fans at 50% over powers the Kaze fan noise.

with my setup like this, i haven't seen the VREG temperature over 60C...ever. i have close to 30C ambient temp right above the input area for the fans. with two GTX 295s F@H and no action on the CPU, the digital thermometer is reading a steady 28C with the probe sitting an inch away from the intake on the fan blowing over the NB/RAM. with the probe dropped in between the NB heat sink and the top GTX 295, right in the nook of the section of fins on the NB heat sink that juts out, the temperature shoots to 35C instantly and slowly climbs settling in around 37~38C. again, that is with just the GTX 295s crunching F@H...and only 3 cores, not four.

needless to say, the system is hot as hell...yet the PWM is a cool 53C steady. it is obviously getting air from the fan blowing over the RAM as well as a bit from the fan pushing through the TRUE CU, but with this exact same type of setup, the X58-SLI was usually never below 60C for the PWM and usually 70C or slightly over. clearly the new PWM runs cooler and/or the new heat sink design on it is far superior. i have a hunch the digital PWM is the reason behind the much cooler temps there.

as for the NB...there is no way to monitor the temp from Windows, although i am all over Peter's ass to make the option in the BIOS to choose between NB and the CPU temp being polled after full POST. but to do what everyone else is doing, i will exit out of the F@H clients right now and go straight to the BIOS to see the NB temp...i have never seen it above 55C thus far. but haven't gone from a heavy load straight to the BIOS to check either. one sec...

NB = 56C
PWM = 53C

so the PWM stays the same as in Windows, and the NB temp is holding pretty steady at 56C after a few minutes of idling in the BIOS. it cycles between 56C and 57C. after 5 minutes it has started to drop a degree or two going to 54C now. obviously it gets warm, but i haven't found any instability issues with temps around these.

i will of course do full temperature testing with the current setup, single fan, silent 120mm fan, 40mm fan on the heat sink, etc... but i don't see the point until i can monitor NB temps in Windows. i might have to resort to putting a thermal probe on the side of the NB die (i think i have one small enough to fit under heat sinks and accomplish this), but that still isn't the ideal solution because people can't compare their setup to that. i also don't want to remove the stock cooling as it came from the factory before i do the testing because i like to test "out of the box", not after i have replaced the TIM and re-tightened stuff.

basically, i am of the belief that you shouldn't be thinking the stock cooling on any passive setup is going to be enough with a heavily overclocked system in or even out of a case. you should always have a fan helping passive setups. i mean, look at the DFI X58 i did thermal testing on. with just a single fan on the CPU and no fan blowing over RAM/NB...the PWM temps were over 20C higher and sitting at 90C+ under load. that alone tells you that the stock cooling on that board needs help too...but do you see anyone trying to burn down the DFI headquarters? EVGA users are great, but also a little narrow minded in expectations. just look at the guy who posted a reply in his thread calling for the head of QA because he didn't get his little controller board with his Classified. i mean, yeah, that sucks...but mistakes by humans are what makes the world go round.

sorry, that got long in a hurry...but more info is better than less i guess.
Old March 27, 2009, 02:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
Big speech.
Well put. Ever since the motherboard heatpipe craze started, there have been all kinds of people expecting miracles from them. They don't magically make the heat disappear, and they don't eliminate the need for some airflow.

And there are still way too many people judging this current generation uArch by the standards of the last generation. To say nothing of how many of those "standards" were determined largely by trial and error. And for that matter, my own Bloodrage NB was routinely in the mid-50's when I was only bothering with the air heatsink, and things were plenty stable.
Old March 28, 2009, 01:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That is exactly why I put it to you 3oh.......straight to the "real skinny".....I'll continue with my step-up....thanks 3oh!!

Old March 28, 2009, 06:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well said 3oh6. If people are plugging in 2 8pin cpu connector and then having high overclocks and expect the tiny heatsink on this mobo will suffice are not that bright. The fact that most people with the classified either have watercooling with no fans in the general area or are using a TRUE wich its fan is above the PWM so you will NEED extra air flow or have you board in a freezer :p. Then their are people that are complaining because their room temp is 30c and complain about tempuraters. I just have one complaint. If EVGA just put a fan inside the heatsink from the beggining then most people wouldn't be complaining.

I still think it is funny that people think they can go with water cooling the cpu but have passive northbridge and PWMs.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 28, 2009, 06:41 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I just have one complaint. If EVGA just put a fan inside the heatsink from the beggining then most people wouldn't be complaining.
that is the thing i think a lot of people are wondering. at the same time, there were a lot of complaints about the fan on the X58, and everyone else was using passive heat sinks, why couldn't EVGA...so they really couldn't have won.

i would have loved to see a 40mm fan inside the heat sink fins though, it would have been very trick and done wonders for NB temps.
Old March 28, 2009, 09:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Haha...Too bad they listen to their customers, hey?
Old March 28, 2009, 09:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

dear god why is that sitting on foam for?

*shudders*