Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2009, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default X58 Classified Question

Likely for Zlojack

Which Slots are you going to run your 2 GPU's in?...I was running the 280's in the Top Slot (just south of the Northbridge) and the lowest Slot to provide for optimal cooling...I don't like sandwiching my GPU's so close together as in the Top Slot and next one down...what have you heard / read?
Also, is it necessary to re-install Vista after installing new Board and CPU, or can we get away without a complete re-install? I'm not changing any other Hardware, only going from the Evga X58 to the Evga X58 Classified...probably best to do a "clean install" but its such a pita!

Your thoughts?

Old March 20, 2009, 03:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You shouldn't have to reinstall at all. Same chipset. You may have to reactivate.
Old March 20, 2009, 04:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
You shouldn't have to reinstall at all. Same chipset. You may have to reactivate.
Thnkas Sugar...as Corsairs return policy is that its not necessary to include all of the cables etc with the PSU, I was able to simply "unplug" everything from the PSU and the Mobo, so I'm hoping I can simply install Mobo, CPU plug everytihng in and fire up....
Only other question is that the Classified has the additional 8Pin CPU connector, I know the Corsair 1 kw comes with this Cable , is it necessary to plug in the additional 8 pin CPU plug and if I do, will the 1kw provide enough juice with the GTX 280's in SLI?
I'm actually kind of excited about this "upgrade"...with all of the Evga products I've purchsed I'm finally utilizing the "Step-up"....

Old March 20, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just install new Drivers directly over old (other than GPU Drivers)...?

Old March 20, 2009, 05:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm...

My personal preference would be a clean OS install, but I do agree with you on the PITA part!

As for the 2 8-pins, it's not necessary unless you're getting into sub-zero OCs and very high voltages. Raja1 at EVGA.com (and Anandtech) used his with one 8-pin just fine.
Old March 20, 2009, 06:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
As for the 2 8-pins, it's not necessary unless you're getting into sub-zero OCs and very high voltages. Raja1 at EVGA.com (and Anandtech) used his with one 8-pin just fine.
Thanks Zlo....

Old March 20, 2009, 07:04 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
yeah, single 8-pin is working fine for any kind of air clocking.
Old March 20, 2009, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As for the slots, I haven't decided yet, though I'll probably run my cards in the first two slots since I'll be running them on water.